Torque converter noise

-

venomvpr900

Reaction score
Well I got the truck running and on the road today, noticed a whining noise at times - got it home and checked and the transmission tq converter is making a whining noise at rpms above 1100-1200. is some whine normal ? this is my first time using a high stall converter. fluid level is full and trans drives and shifts fine. Any ideas ????

So I've check everything over and I think that I have air in the converter, this transmission set-up I know will use 14.5 quarts because I have a buddy with the same set up. Mine also has the aux. cooler on it so I should use more I would think around 15.5 quarts. so far it's only taken 13.5 to 14.0 to get it to read full on the stick anyone have any tips on getting all the air out of the system??????

I know absolutely nothing about this, but here is a bump for you.

Btt.

I think I`ve, read you have to fill converter before installing, did you? This is why I like 4 spds:-D A call to a competent tranny shop should get this answered, if nobody here chimes in. good luck

Let it sit overnite, then when its cool and on level suface chk fluid to see if its frothy, start and warm up to operating temp and chk again, chk level then and fill it to mark, drive around normal for 10-15 minutes then stop engine, let cool for 30 minutes or so then start and chk again, if it was air the fluid would be frothy from being a little low, remember looser convertors heat up much faster than stock ones and if they are a little low this can happen, this happened to me and that is what I did and it was fine afterwards, not saying this will for sure fix your problem but it was the cure for me, could be something else altogether,the whine is not known to me other than possibly a little low, could be in the front pump[the whine] hope this fixes your problem cause that kind of probs suck when you dont know what it is and the thought of having to pull it all back out just to have it chkd/fixed....good luck

Ok here the latest update, I followed rbdart suggestion (thanks by the way!)and transmission did take about 1 more quart of fluid I drove it and checked fluid level and it was fine. I took her on a 25 mile road test and listened carefully and have to say it is more of a buzz than a whine, it's hear all gears PRNDL when the engine rpm get above 1200 and the noise can be varied with throttle. It is loudest on decel or steady cruising, Trans. temp is showing 125 degrees. Noise doesn't seem to get worse hot or cold seem to stay the same. It drives great, shifts nice and firm, stall seems to be right on just has the noise. I think tomorrow night I'm going to pull the inspection plate and check TQ bolts to make sure they are all still tight. Anyway theres the latest and any help or suggestions are accpeted. Time for a high life !!!

should pre-fill a converter yes, but i dont know if you did or not. and if you didnt i dunno if that would cause your noise :)

Converter was pre-filled before install, sorry forgot to answer that one

Would some noise be normal until you get above your converter stall speed???

hmmmmmmm......I snagged the corner of the inspection cover with the starter when I reinstalled it after headers where done, it was just barely touching the very corner of the flexplate lol I love when you get all worked up and it ends up being something like that. Makes you feel like a real genius!!! thanks for everyones help

-
Back