Torque converter or no?

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to get your all opinions on what to do about a high torque converter. I'm going to be running :

408 stroker, Comp K20-671-4 cam with effective RPM of 2500-6400, 904 trans in a 65 Dart GT.

I was hoping I could get by without getting something with a higher stall, but wanted to get your all opinions. This will be a street only car (aggressive street..lol)

Any experience/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

You can use a stock converter, but it will slow your car down. A stock 1000-1100 rpm converter will apply full load to the drivetrain before your engine "comes on the cam". It will certainly work, just not as well as it could. Using a higher stall converter allows you to make better use of the power and torque you are getting from your modified engine. For a high performance street only car, I generally like to use a converter that stalls between 2500 and 3500 rpm, depending on the engine torque, rear gear and vehicle weight. The more torque you have, the lower the rpm can be, but I wouldn't recommend less than around 2500.
For a car that sees drag strip duty, you generally want the converter to stall at an rpm near the torque peak of the motor. Usually between 3800 and 5800. Regardless of what rpm stall you chose, a good external transmission cooler is a necessity when using a high stall converter. A high rpm converter builds a lot of heat due to hydraulic friction.

All 340 cars came with a 3000 stall converter. They would always brake stall at around 2800 with a strong motor. Same converter would brake stall at 3500 in a strong big block. If you buy a converter get a 3500 tight not loose. behind a small block it will not stall that high.

340 converters were a huge upgrade in a 1970 big block car. BB's were usually low stall accept for the Hemi.

Give this guy a call Ultimateconverters.com Lenny is the best in the business..he'll tell and build you exactely what you need..

Hey guys, wanted to get your all opinions on what to do about a high torque converter. I'm going to be running :

408 stroker, Comp K20-671-4 cam with effective RPM of 2500-6400, 904 trans in a 65 Dart GT.

I was hoping I could get by without getting something with a higher stall, but wanted to get your all opinions. This will be a street only car (aggressive street..lol)

Any experience/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

What kind of tires are you planning where you can get the 408 power to the ground without spinning in a 65 Dart?:D
Any converter is going to light those tires RIGHT NOW anyway with a 408, so I say unless you are planning some all out drag racing for money, buy some other nice toy for it.
Like a good self learning EFI system, or even AC.

Given the stroke and camshaft - I would get something in the 2200-2400 range. A tight one. A lose convertor in that combo will just be wasting a bunch of fuel.

Given the stroke and camshaft - I would get something in the 2200-2400 range. A tight one. A lose convertor in that combo will just be wasting a bunch of fuel.

2200-2400 tight is what comes in a dodge truck with a tow package. We had one behind a 340 in a 72 Charger. It had a hard time spinning factory spares with 410 gears. It went 14.96 . Installed a used 3000 I had here went 13.40's. If it is fuel economy your after install a 318 2bbl.

2200-2400 tight is what comes in a dodge truck with a tow package. We had one behind a 340 in a 72 Charger. It had a hard time spinning factory spares with 410 gears. It went 14.96 . Installed a used 3000 I had here went 13.40's. If it is fuel economy your after install a 318 2bbl.

Ya, definitely not after fuel economy, just make it a more pleasant "ride"

I got a 2800 stall on a 360 don't even know its there in normal driving.

I used to run a Turbo Action 10" med.(904 neutral balance ) It drove like my '12 Ram R/T in town, and flashed 3900 at the tree. I will have it for sale, at some point.. Nothing wrong with it, just needed more.
PM me if your interested.

I got a 2800 stall on a 360 don't even know its there in normal driving.
3400 behind zero deck 360. Drives pretty normal....until I stomp on the go pedal...then it's slingshot time:steering:

Nice story. Totally off topic tho. The last 2200 convertor in a 416 I installed runs mid 12s at 108mph in a 3800lbs e body, and gets 17+ mpg with 3.23s. Match your parts and it wont be a bag of ****.

-
Back