torque converter??

-

sthorvictor75du

Reaction score
ok i was just wondering what difference different torque converters make on a vehical?? and i was also wondering how you figure out whats right for your car... right now im runnin the stock torque converter from a newport custom engine and tranny, which is now in my duster...

A high stall converter will allow the engine to rev higher before it locks up which gets the engine in the desired powerband faster and makes the car accellerate faster.

You match the stall speed of the converter to the application of the vehicle by rpm range and intended use. For instance my Cuda engine develops max torque at 3,500 rpm so if I were only racing it I'd run a 3,500~3,800 converter. Since I mostly street drive it but race occasionally I went with a lower stall converter that stalls at approx. 2,800 so the car is more streetable.

If I understand you right your combo of the 383 and stock converter is sufficient for street use although a little looser converter of about 2,200~2,400 stall would be faster. Really no need to go higher than that. JMHO

i daily drove on my 3500 stall/3900 flash dynamic converter. if you spend a few good bucks on a good converter, it will be much more streetable than a off the shelf converter with the same rpm stall. My 3500 acts better around town than my old inconsistant '2500' stall all day. I found it well worth it to get a custom tweaked converter in my car.

a good converter will make a huge difference.. you won't believe how much different the car will feel. rmember with a converter you get what you pay for.. if you go with crap like the ones MP sells then you'll get a very non-efficient one.. meaning cruise rpm will be higher and it probably won't stall as consistent. best bet is calling a converter company like dynamic that will build one to your combo... just have to be sure to be honest and accurate about your car,combo and intended use.

the 9 1/2 " converters out there are very efficient. they will flash to 3800 and allow you to cruise like you have a stock converter. they are amazing... dynamic hit my converter right on.. at the track on the foot brake i get over 3000 rpm easy and on the street it drives like a stock converter. and i drive the crap out of my car.. around town freeway it doesn't matter.

ok so what kind of stuff do you tell these guys and, how much does it usually cost (can) to get one custom??

ok so what kind of stuff do you tell these guys and, how much does it usually cost (can) to get one custom??

they wanted to know:

weight of car
cu in of motor
cam
compression
trans
gear
is it street/strip and wich it will see more of

and a few other things if i remember correctly.

think i paid $499 or $599 for mine from dynamic. i'll tell ya it was well worth the money.. it made a huge difference in my car....

call and talk to sean.. he knows his stuff and will explain what is best for your combo and how it works.. (302) 454-9203

-
Back