Torque convertor vs turbo lag question

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I am purchasing all my materials for my first winter turbo project
383 w forged crank(4-speed engine) chk
GT45 turbo off EBAY(starting small w one unit) chk
727 Trans chk

With this application I would like low end torque. I understand that a NA engine will have more initial torque because the turbo has to spool-up off the line.
If I run say a 2400 stall convertor for example won't this allow the turbo to spool up off the line. I should not notice the turbo lag then correct????

I have been reading all the posts so I do not waste anybodies time with redundent questions. I did not see info on this one

Thanks

A 2400 Stall should help with the Lag some. With a 383 CI motor and 1 GT45 you will have instant boost most likely with out using the converter to get it there. One thing that will more than likely happen is you will run out of Compressor Wheel on the top end. 1 of these is too small for your application in my opionin. If you are going to run only 1 Turbo you may think about using this one instead. Same Family as the GT45, I know a guy running 2 of these on a 410CI SBM that is making over 1250 HP to the Wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gt4292-gt42...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6bf66aef#ht_5697wt_1183

Thanks-I will order one. $37.00 I can't go wrong
I already have the GT-45 and it was a pretty inexpensive newby Turbo $260.00 This is kind of a science project for me. Lots to learn.
I did read a smaller turbo will spool up quicker for better low end?
Sounds like I may run out of Turbo on the top end. Putting the 383 in a truck so limited RPM

Thank you for helping!

Thanks-I will order one. $37.00 I can't go wrong
I already have the GT-45 and it was a pretty inexpensive newby Turbo $260.00 This is kind of a science project for me. Lots to learn.
I did read a smaller turbo will spool up quicker for better low end?
Sounds like I may run out of Turbo on the top end. Putting the 383 in a truck so limited RPM

Thank you for helping!

If the 383 runs fairly well I would use a 3000- 3500 converter with a highway gear in the back ( 2.70's ), The reason is instant boost like you WILL get under the tourqe peak may make timing at low rpms a hassle ( may ping no matter what under 3000 rpm with boost ) if you tune it to run between 3500- 5000 rpm it will pull like a freight train, I imagine a gt45 China turbo would fall off at or before 5000 rpm anyway...

-
Back