torque convertor

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
anyone running a mechanical diode torque convertor on the street in a 727 behind 650 ft.lbs. and 650 h/p. ??
anyone running one in anything on the street ?--------------thanks, bob

Mechanical Diode Torque Converters

Traditional sprag designs do not distribute forces evenly across all internal components. A mechanical diode alters pressure from side to side to increase strength, longevity, and offer cooler operating temperatures.
Mechanical diode torque converters give you the durability and consistency of a spragless design and more efficiency than both a standard sprag and a spragless converter.
A mechanical diode converter can replace a sprag converter without any loss in MPH or ET.
Mechanical diode technology has become so popular that OEM manufactures, such as GM and Ford, are beginning to incorporate it into their torque converters.
Pros
  • Preferred choice for race/street
  • Less parts than a standard sprag converter
  • Consistency and durability of a spragless converter
  • Better fuel economy due to increased efficiency
Cons
  • Most expensive
  • In Powerglide applications with 700+ HP an aftermarket front pump is suggested for maximum durability

Thanks, T.B. That's how I'll go with the 64ragtop when I get to the T.C. Can you 'splain the mechanical diode, please? Or point to a good discussion of same. I'm a retired Navy electronics Tech, and know a bit about electrical diodes but I'd never heard of a mechanical one. Thanks!

BC

Thanks, T.B. That's how I'll go with the 64ragtop when I get to the T.C. Can you 'splain the mechanical diode, please? Or point to a good discussion of same. I'm a retired Navy electronics Tech, and know a bit about electrical diodes but I'd never heard of a mechanical one. Thanks!

BC

Sure, here ya go.
http://www.epilogics.com/md/tekintro.htm
Has some spelling and language errors in it, but the information is good.

You already know what a electrical diode does, right?
Let's say it's a one way gate for electricity.
A mechanical diode is just a newer name for "One way" mechanical movement.
It's still a one way clutch so to speak, but designed differently.

I must admit, this is the first I've heard the term "diode" applied to a mechanical device. I have heard an electrical diode compared to a check valve in the fluid world.

I must admit, this is the first I've heard the term "diode" applied to a mechanical device. I have heard an electrical diode compared to a check valve in the fluid world.

I must admit that also :D
Never heard of it before this post came up.

It makes sence though, as per how a diode works.
I guess we will have to call a bell reducer a resistor from now on right?

anyone running a mechanical diode torque convertor on the street in a 727 behind 650 ft.lbs. and 650 h/p. ??
anyone running one in anything on the street ?--------------thanks, bob

I checked with "the man" at my past employer. He said there is no reason not to run a mechanical diode on the street. With the HP and torque you've got he said it was a good choice. Expensive, but then again high HP and lots of torque don't come cheap either.

-
Back