torque on headbolts?

-
Reaction score
We are getting ready to put the engine back together, but we don't know the amount of footpounds of torque to put on the headbolts, and the sequence to tighten it down with on the rocker arm tube...

If your assembling an engine, your going to need a book as you'll need other torque values as well. I'm assuming small block. If its a Slant 6 or "B/RB" then there are books on them too. A chiltons/hanyes will have this info as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Mopar-Engines/dp/0895861283"]Amazon.com: How to Rebuild Small-Block Mopar Engines (0075478001286): Don Taylor: Books[/ame]

I have this one and it has served me well.

according to my FSM (69 truck manual):
Head= 65
Main cap bolt=85
Con rod nut=45
over torquing can cause its own set of problems, streched(weakend) bolts, striped threads. ect.

Honestly sine no one knows what is being assembled and being used, were just guessing... aluminum heads, ARP Bolts, or a Saab V4? More info is need to accurately answer the question.

Like the old guy at the parts store said

"Tighten it until it snaps then back it off half a turn"

Seriously you need to get the manual for the year/engine you are assembling...or at least let us know, maybe some has it and can look it up.

Honestly sine no one knows what is being assembled and being used, were just guessing... aluminum heads, ARP Bolts, or a Saab V4? More info is need to accurately answer the question.
thats true but...my assumption is that he is assembling a slant six. since there are no aluminum heads for the slanty, my guess is that they are iron. ARP bolts would probaly come with torque specs. if he were working on a saab, why would he ask here?](*,)

thats true but...my assumption is that he is assembling a slant six. since there are no aluminum heads for the slanty, my guess is that they are iron. ARP bolts would probaly come with torque specs. if he were working on a saab, why would he ask here?](*,)

I assumed small block, but then realized there was no mention of what it was or the make for that matter, could be a 241 Red Ram Hemi for a DeSoto. So I guess we can assume all we want and you never know what people are cobbling together.

I assumed small block, but then realized there was no mention of what it was or the make for that matter, could be a 241 Red Ram Hemi for a DeSoto. So I guess we can assume all we want and you never know what people are cobbling together.
since he is asking in the SLANT SIX section, why would he ask about early hemi specs...............but really, a saab???:pukerigh:

since he is asking in the SLANT SIX section, why would he ask about early hemi specs...............but really, a saab???:pukerigh:

So this is what you get for helping. Didn't notice this was in the /6 forum, just saw it in the recent threads area. I asked a simple question and get a bunch of mouth from someone that didn't even try to help. Good Job internet police.

dano.....
perhaps you should read the entire thread, top to bottom, in order, completly, and you will notice that i did, in fact try to help by posting the correct specs before you ever chimed in. :yawinkle:
i just hope the OP reads it before he overtorques the headbolts.

They made AL slant blocks too. making us assume what he has is his fault, not the help section. 50 then 65 in an inside out pattern on an iron block, AL seems the same but cant confirm, wheres Dan?

-
Back