torque tubes...

-

Dartthunder340

Reaction score
How long are yours? Cut mine at the track yesterday to help tune things a bit. The paint burnt off roughly around 12 or so inches. I though I had read they are typically longer than that but I know every combo is different. This is a small block Dart.

I used to stripe them with a crayon and cut within an inch of where it went from burn to melt.
But so did Fred Flintstone.:-D
Go to Wallace Calculators and input your engine information.....it will give you header primary and collector optimum length and diameter for free.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

I just realized....that doesn't give you collector length.
Pipe max or any good header program will , but those aren't free.
Ball park is going to be a 12 " extension I'd say......to really tweak every ounce of power from something like this requires a lot of data and will change with the weather , so don't worry about perfection.
Another rule of thumb......short for high rpm and h.p. , longer for more torque.

The Old School of thought was,,Stick cars you cut right at the burn.Automatics 1 inch longer.

Good to learn something new today, I didn't know that collector length would make any difference.

on my 440" 66 baracuda with 4.10 gears i had an 18" collector and added another 18" one and the hotrod reduced it's et by 1.5 tenths and started to pick the front up about 3" so i left it with 3' of collector.

On my slant6 car I run a 18'' extension that helped with bottom end power.
That was the other Old School thought.Add if bottom end is needed,Subtract for more top end.

Thanks for the replies. I do have enough left over to make another set but I think I will leave it alone for now. I just thought maybe it was a bit short and now it looks like I am where it needs to be.

-
Back