torque wrench

-
If you have been doing it long enough to know what 30 ft pounds feels like maybe.

It's also impossible for us to say "Juuust about that tight" over the internet.

What is it, maybe we can help a little with your question.

well technically yes, but hanging a weight off of a pole long enough to get your required torque isnt practical 10lb on 5 ft = 50ftlbs 10 and 10 =100 and so on

I am re-installing my intake manifold which is made of aluminum. The bolts should be torqued to 20 ft-lbs or so, so it does not get cracked. this is what I am trying to do without a torque wrench. I just might have to go and buy one even if I never use it again.

Work in a pattern using multiple passes and tighten about as much as you would feel safe with a 1/4 bolt. (like a valve cover bolt but without worrying about crushing the gasket.)
That is what I would describe it as, and how I do it.
Never broke one and never had a leak.

I hope you use sealer on the bolt threads or it'll seep oil up onto your manifold.
(I do a bead right up against the underside of the bolt head where the shoulder and head meet because I have had them seep even when the threads were done)

Well not telling you what to do. But i have never in my 45 years used a torque wrench on a intake manifold. No problems to date. Tighten from the center out on in a cross pattern.

So you have an almost 40 year old car and don't want to buy a torque wrench. Do you expect to never work on it again?

That's like wanting to dig a hole and not wanting to buy a shovel. I just don't understand the mentality.

Don't know if you have Harbor Freight in Canada. They frequently run $9.95 sales on their 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" torque wrenches. Not the quality of a Snap-On but much better than guesstimating.

auto parts stores loan tools like that. Pay a deposit...bring it back... get the deposit back- it's free. I do that so I don't have to buy pullers I'll only use a couple of times a year.

As said above tighten till it feels snug and even om all bolts but don't go using a 1/2 inch drive use the smallest you can. the amount of force you can put through a 1/2 or 3/8 using what feels like the same strength can be way different to same force with a 1/4 inch drive.
In NZ we call it a Bro wrench (poor mans torque wrench do up till it feels right)

So you have an almost 40 year old car and don't want to buy a torque wrench. Do you expect to never work on it again?

That's like wanting to dig a hole and not wanting to buy a shovel. I just don't understand the mentality.

The only work I usually do to my car is change the oil and grease.

Buy a torque wrench.

A mechanic without a torque wrench is like a Jedi without a light saber....

If you have a fish scale, pull the required weight at one foot......eg, 30 foot pounds, pull 30 Pounds perpendicular to the handle one foot from the pivot point.

As was mentioned, "Harbor Fright" sells El-Cheapo's for 10 bucks. Not the best, but better than guessing. You will use it again, trust me.

As was mentioned, "Harbor Fright" sells El-Cheapo's for 10 bucks. Not the best, but better than guessing. You will use it again, trust me.

absolutely not the worst either. tested to about +-3% of a big name wrench. Good enough. You could always do a bolt stretch method but thats a little impossible on a 20 ft/lb. I think carb studs need to be just tight enough so they dont wiggle loose, really. you torquing an AL slant intake, thats like 10 lbs.

For the love of God, get a torque wrench! They are cheap insurance. I always use the Bar style and not the click style. Out of every single click style wrench I have used none of them worked properly. I bought 5 in the same day from different stores. None of them worked. I got pissed, bought a bar style wrench and put my engine together. Now I always use it and ive never had a problem. I think it cost me about 10 bucks.

That is another one of those tools you think you will never use again, until you have one. Ever pull the wheels off of your car? Lug nuts should be torqued, especially on aluminum wheels. Mine is a cheap HF and works great.

-
Back