Torqueflight 8?

-

sliffner

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has some knowledge on these. Is it similar to a smallblock 727?
Just heard back from my trans guy and my 904 is grenaded. He says he has a 904 and a torqueflight 8 there too. I'd have to more than likely shorten my driveline and get a bigger yoke which isn't a big deal. I'm just trying to do some research and was wondering if the chassis mount for my 74 swinger will work or if I need to fab/buy a mount that will fit

Car is a 2 door 74 swinger
318ci

Thanks for any info

Ill bet you have to do a ton of modifying to get it to fit. Like cutting your tunnel out and making a new one that will fit that new style trans, and also make a custom trans cross member. Ill also bet the bell housing is different.

Edit: Thought the Torqueflite 8 was the new 8 speed auto trans from the new cars. My bad.

Spend the couple hours locating another 904. Will hold up plenty and you won't have to modify anything. They can be built to handle most smallblocks these days.

TF8=727
TF6=904

They have both always had both names, and the converter, linkage and driveline would require changes to go from the TF6 to the TF8.

torqueflite 8 is also known as 727. but this is what it comes down to. plans for the car. if your going to stay with the 318, put the 904 back in. if your going larger in the future, nows the time to upgrade to the 727.

Thank for all the fast replies guys, I just got off the phone and it looks like I'll be sticking with the 904. The 318 has enough grunt for the time being. Thanks again.

This has been argued endlessly. A 904 can be built to withstand anything that 318 will ever output, including twin turbos. It is accepted fact that the 904 does not have the explosion problem to the degree that 727s have, which in this particular case, might be not applicable.

The explosion "problem" stems from a failed Sprag that can happen to either a 904 or a 727. It typically fails from over revving the trans during a water burn out at a drag strip. Are you trying to say that a 727 is not stronger than a 904? I did not argue that a 904 would not work behind a 318. A 727 will live longer behind a 318. I have a 727 behind everything unless it is an A833. There is always a choice and multiple reasons why there is not just one motor or transmission, especially on the street, which negates your "exploding" reason for picking a 904.

The explosion "problem" stems from a failed Sprag that can happen to either a 904 or a 727. It typically fails from over revving the trans during a water burn out at a drag strip. Are you trying to say that a 727 is not stronger than a 904? I did not argue that a 904 would not work behind a 318. A 727 will live longer behind a 318. I have a 727 behind everything unless it is an A833. There is always a choice and multiple reasons why there is not just one motor or transmission, especially on the street, which negates your "exploding" reason for picking a 904.

I cal BS , show me pics of a blown up 904 , there's tons of exploded 727 pics but none of a built 904 and a 727 will not live any longer behind a 318 than a properly built 904 it will just waste more power . my 904 is behind 524 hp and 527 ftlbs and has been cross country 3 times without a hiccup.The 904 uses a riveted sprag instead of a press fit like the stock 727 thats why you don`t see them exploding . But you keep giving away power with you 727s and enjoying the view of my tail lights while your at it .
PS the guys who supplied my rebuild kit run a 904 behind a 1400hp promod car , I wonder why they would do that instead of using the hallowed 727 eh ?

, which negates your "exploding" reason for picking a 904.

As I said, this has been argued endlessly. And you see that there are two more that have chimed in. Most of us will never have this problem. But the fact is, that a 904 can easily be built so there is no real need to spend extra time and money......if that's what the OP is up against.........is all I'm saying.......to find a 727. I myself run a 727. That's what I found "reasonable" but if I build one to replace it, it will probably be a 904

I cal BS , show me pics of a blown up 904 , there's tons of exploded 727 pics but none of a built 904 and a 727 will not live any longer behind a 318 than a properly built 904 it will just waste more power . my 904 is behind 524 hp and 527 ftlbs and has been cross country 3 times without a hiccup.The 904 uses a riveted sprag instead of a press fit like the stock 727 thats why you don`t see them exploding . But you keep giving away power with you 727s and enjoying the view of my tail lights while your at it .
PS the guys who supplied my rebuild kit run a 904 behind a 1400hp promod car , I wonder why they would do that instead of using the hallowed 727 eh ?

BS yourself. Not into bench racing. I don't have a problem making power with anything I choose to build. My problem comes with transmissions and clutches that slip. Do you know how much money it takes to run that kind of power, 1400hp, through a 904? Racing is different than street. I don't post in the Racing Forum. Talk about BS. I've run 727's for 30 years. Never blew one up, went plenty fast, pulled them from anything, changed torque converters, adjusted the bands, and changed the fluid and filter, done. All stock 727's. Blew, slipping clutches, plenty of stockish 904's. NOT one answer fits all!! For the OP 904 is probably plenty and less changes. I have put 400,000 miles on a 273 904. Replaced it with a 727. How many 340's came with a 904? I gladly give up a little power for longer life, I'm not going to do water burnouts.

As I said, this has been argued endlessly. And you see that there are two more that have chimed in. Most of us will never have this problem. But the fact is, that a 904 can easily be built so there is no real need to spend extra time and money......if that's what the OP is up against.........is all I'm saying.......to find a 727. I myself run a 727. That's what I found "reasonable" but if I build one to replace it, it will probably be a 904

I agree with what you are saying about the OP's situation. I was stating a fact about the two transmissions. The 904 is lighter and more efficient. The down side is in stockish form the 727 is stronger. There is always more than one answer. We all don't need to drive a Prius or a 440 A body. Ganging up on me will not change my mind. I've always driven an Mopar A body in a Chevy world. I can not be cowed. I have my experience and lots of others behind me.

Just wanted to say thanks again for EVERYONES opinions and advice, I didn't mean to start a pissing match. For now I'm sticking with the 318/904 combo. Although my brother in law keeps waving a very nicely built 360 in my face. Hmmm

what's the deal with 727's and water burn-outs? splain please.

The word is shock to the sprag if you shift from first after the water box. Shift into '2' once you get the wheels going in the box. Better yet always selected '2' for burnouts.

Thank for all the fast replies guys, I just got off the phone and it looks like I'll be sticking with the 904. The 318 has enough grunt for the time being. Thanks again.
it might be worth while to have your tranny guy step up you 904 build now so you could use that 360 in the future.

it might be worth while to have your tranny guy step up you 904 build now so you could use that 360 in the future.

Thats the plan, hopefully i can get over to his place tomorrow and go over the particulars with him. I am by no means a trans guy, and since I'm rebuilding this car i want to know all the ins and outs of it.

WEIGHT was the main reason for his car vs the original 727, plus a chance to experiment with the goods he manufactures to see what works and what doesn't work in his race car before putting them up for sale to his customers.

-
Back