Torqueflite 727

-

70dart65coronet

mopar or nocar
Reaction score
Quick question, I got a torqflight 727 in my 70 dart. And when i make a pass, when I shift from first to second I get a big lag and it seems like it slips, if I get off the gas and let it fully engage and get back on it it goes pretty good but slips again, 1st and 3rd is good. When I changed the fluid and filter last i found some small black chips. Is there a clutch pack going bad? It has a b & m T handle shift, and I checked the detents and seems to be good. Is there any other settings or adjusting I can do or does it need to be rebuilt? If so is there a good rebuild kit I can get and rebuild my self? I have never done a transmission but i am very mechanical I think I could handle it, unless there is a lot of specialized tools? What has been your guys experience? Thanks for your input.

what kind of valve body do you have in the trans?

is the kickdown linkage bolted up and adjusted?

when was the last time the bands were adjusted?

727 are not very hard to rebuild...

Black chips are burned clutch material very likely from the band, but to answer the question about needing a rebuild the answer is absolutely yes.
Next it will start skipping second all together, or worse yet start dumping steel in the fluid after the friction material all comes off the band.

Black chips are burned clutch material very likely from the band, but to answer the question about needing a rebuild the answer is absolutely yes.
Next it will start skipping second all together, or worse yet start dumping steel in the fluid after the friction material all comes off the band.

Agree

-
Back