Torqueflites For Dummies

-
Ive heard mention of "blocking the accumulator piston", but I dont know exactly what that entails. My TF-1 kit says to simply reassemble the accumulator piston as it came out??? I thought that this was one of the primary things that needed to be modified. Any thoughts here?

When you have the valve body off they want you to insert something to block the accumulator up to the top of the bore so it does not move.
They recommend a short length of tubing, but I prefer something a little more substantial like a piece of pipe or aluminum stock.

3 inch in length 3/8 thick rod to hold the accumulator in place...no springs..

you want to make sure the rod is not any longer as it will not allow the valve body to sit flush with the case..

3 inch in length 3/8 thick rod to hold the accumulator in place...no springs..

you want to make sure the rod is not any longer as it will not allow the valve body to sit flush with the case..

I know they say a 3/8 rod, but I have seen those punch right through the valve body casting on a hard 1-2 shift so I used to use a piece of tailshaft bushing.

I use a couple of new nuts against the bottom of the piston to keep the piston in the down position. I forget what size, but bid enough to cover the outside diameter of the small end of the piston. Done this for years and never had a problem.

The snapring under the plate. Hmm. Guess if my dumbass would have removed the mount I would have seen that! :banghead:

Anyways, I have a 999 trans from a jeep sitting in my shed, Id like to install the low first gear if into my 904 if I can. Considering the amount of teardown involved in this swap, is it worth doing, and are there any hangups involved in this swap? I can assume that the first gear planetary is the rear one, but i may be wrong???

The snapring under the plate. Hmm. Guess if my dumbass would have removed the mount I would have seen that! :banghead:

Anyways, I have a 999 trans from a jeep sitting in my shed, Id like to install the low first gear if into my 904 if I can. Considering the amount of teardown involved in this swap, is it worth doing, and are there any hangups involved in this swap? I can assume that the first gear planetary is the rear one, but i may be wrong???

It's the one under the drum inside the sun gear shell that has a snap ring holding it on.
The one in the very back of the case is for reverse.

Just in case you don't have this, it's an exploded view.
[ame]http://www.letsgocomputers.com/dart/A904.pdf[/ame]

So I got it all back together, and much to my relief, IT WORKS! But i will have to say that im a little disappointed in my TF-1 shift kit. The shifts are only mildly firmer than stock, and it didnt change my medium throttle shift points at all. Light throttle shift points are noticably higher and firmer, but when I try to roll heavy into the throttle, it shifts from first to second before the engine even gets a chance to start into the power band, and it just bogs down in second. If i tighten up on the kickdown cable, it doesnt want to shift from second to third, which is common on pretty much every t-flite ive ever messed with. Any suggestions?

So I got it all back together, and much to my relief, IT WORKS! But i will have to say that im a little disappointed in my TF-1 shift kit. The shifts are only mildly firmer than stock, and it didnt change my medium throttle shift points at all. Light throttle shift points are noticably higher and firmer, but when I try to roll heavy into the throttle, it shifts from first to second before the engine even gets a chance to start into the power band, and it just bogs down in second. If i tighten up on the kickdown cable, it doesnt want to shift from second to third, which is common on pretty much every t-flite ive ever messed with. Any suggestions?

You may want to chk into a modified governor valve.
A lighter valve resists the shift longer and will move your shift points up.
For example; instead of shifting from 1st to 2nd at 10 mph, it could shift at 20 instead under the same throttle.
(that's the generic explanation anyway)

Someone just ordered one for thier car recently, but I don't know who it was.
Sorry.

-
Back