Torsion bar advice

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
We are replacing my son's 71 Valiant suspension (small block car). We are going to replace the torsion bars. What diameter should we go with? I have seen a thread a while back from a guy who used some 1" bars and said that it wasn't as stiff as he expected and rode well. What diameter bars have you guys used and how do they feel/work.

Also where did you get yours?

Thanks

I just changed mine from the 6 cyl bars to a set of 340 bars and it rides great plus I added a sway bar.

..i think 340 bars are .870
..i used the 383 bars in a dart and liked the ride..they are .890
..i have not tried the 1" but i think adding a sway bar is the best
improvement you can make after disc brakes...

putting .990 bars on my wifes duster was one of the best upgrades we ever did...not stiff at all

Your PM is full but I have a set of 892-893 340 Torsion Bars. PM me if interested.

I appreciate the offer, but I would prefer to buy them new. Springs fatigue with age and I would like to use a fresh set, so they will hopefully last 30 - 40 years.

That's why I posted this thread, because I saw a post a while back from someone who followed some advice from members and used a set of 1" bars and said that they were very happy with them and how they rode.

I appreciate the offer, but I would prefer to buy them new. Springs fatigue with age and I would like to use a fresh set, so they will hopefully last 30 - 40 years.

That's why I posted this thread, because I saw a post a while back from someone who followed some advice from members and used a set of 1" bars and said that they were very happy with them and how they rode.

No worries. I would go with a new set also.

-
Back