Torsion bar backing out??

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I tried to raise my torsion bar on the drivers side, but it lowered back down. Is there anyhting that would casue it to back out? It still has the clip at the back of it and the nut turns also

The nut turns also? If you mean the hex socket at the rear of the torsion bar then that's your problem, it should be fixed.

huh?at the rear is a clip isnt there?
The front nut that you turn is what i use to tighten it, and to tighten it I would pull the wrench towards me if im on the drivers side, to raise the drivers side right?

OK, I thought you meant the rear socket where the clip is, sometimes they rust loose and spin in the frame.
As for what direction, I'd assume you are turning it right (righty tighty as your facing the bolt head). I don't know, is there a lot of resistance when you turn it? I usually jack the car up to take the weight off the suspension when I adjust them. It shouldn't move anywhere from where you had it set.

huh?at the rear is a clip isnt there?
The front nut that you turn is what i use to tighten it, and to tighten it I would pull the wrench towards me if im on the drivers side, to raise the drivers side right?

Looking up from the bottom, turning clockwise raises the suspension.
-both sides the same.
Is the head of the bolt about even relative to the bottom of the LCA on both sides?
\
This is the one we are talking about, right?

I have seen this happen on big block cars with /6 bars that just are so weak they fatigue under the stress even after readjusting.

Wait a sec...
The front nut that you turn is what i use to tighten it...
By "nut", do you mean the one on the end of the pivot shaft which pokes through the K-frame? If so, that's not how you tighten the torsion bars. They are tightened from underneath by turning the adjusting bolt like you see in the above photo.

Sorry, no offense meant, if you already know this. It's just the way you stated it sounds like you are turning the pivot shaft nut.

Jerry

o dam haha please show me i thought thouse were the nuts i turned AHAHHHH

That picture charger70 posted shows a torsion bar adjustment bolt and swivel that you will find nestled between the walls of the lower control arms (underneath). Turning them will adjust your ride height. You can get the weight off the front end with a jack to make it easier to turn the bolts.

You should really consider purchasing a Factory Service Manual, CD of the Manual distributed by Detroit Iron Informations Systems, or at the least, a Haynes Repair Manual 30025 or 30050. The procedure is explained there.

ya i fixed it =( I was turning the wrong darn bolt, but thanks guys everythings is all fixed now

ya i fixed it =( I was turning the wrong darn bolt, but thanks guys everythings is all fixed now

After performing major front end work, it is advisable to get a final alignment done. Everything you do affects the suspension's geometry, even ride height.

Jerry

-
Back