Torsion bar boots

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Are the boots for the torsion bars really necessary? I've read ways to install them but wondering how important they are. I only drive my car about 2000 miles a year

In my opinion they are likely of little value. "In the day" they may have reduced road splash, but I'm sure most of you don't drive your cars much in the rain, likely REALLY not in the snow and slush. And the rear is open, sealed only by "grease."

Nevertheless, I got mine installed "back then." It's been a long time, but I did it with increasingly large size sockets. I used some lube, and kept forcing larger sockets through them until the socket was large enough to stretch the T bar in

In my opinion they are likely of little value. "In the day" they may have reduced road splash, but I'm sure most of you don't drive your cars much in the rain, likely REALLY not in the snow and slush. And the rear is open, sealed only by "grease."
My feelings also.

Do you really want that on your conscious though? How will you sleep at night.
Well I hope you're happy. You embarrassed me into putting the boot on. Alot of work but I'll be able to sleep soundly tonight.

I would think that the factory put them there for a reason. Car motion forward, dust and debris boot, in the least. If a vehicle didn't have them, they may have been missed in the production line. Mine are on.

If I can install them over 1.12” torsion bars then there shouldn’t be any excuses not to install them!

My Dakota came without them

That is true, Dakota’s have torsion bars and don’t have boots.

But, the torsion bar “sockets” are removable hex keys, they’re not permanently mounted in the crossmember, and replacements are available. It’s a totally different design.

I will also say that, having replaced the torsion bars on my ‘02 Dakota, that initially getting the torsion bar hexes off the bars was a royal PITA after 160k miles with no boots.

-
Back