Torsion Bar bushings

-

65cudalover

Reaction score
My left side torsion bar bushing is looking a little dry rotted. How hard is it to replace, can I just take nut off and replace? I would imagine I can get one from Just suspension inc for instance? Help always appreciated!

It's a pretty big job. Torsion bar needs to slide back, lower control arm separated and removed from the car. The bushing has to be pressed into the LCA.
C

maybe I described it incorrectly. Looks like nut and washer on end of torsion bar with a rubber bushing to cushion the space between them? Doesnt look pressed into anything just squeezed by the nut and washer? I will try to get a picture to post? It is on the front side looking down from under the hood...

I think you are talking about the strut rod ? this goes from the lower control arm to the front of the car just behind the bumper ? That piece is still a pain to change because you have to move the LCA back to get the rod out of the hole .

I think it's your strut rod bushing, which involves the steps mentioned above to remove the lower control arm. When the LCA is loose, you can unbolt the strut rod and back it out of the bushing, use a 2 piece replacement, or hammer in a 1 piece bushing. While you have the torsion bars out, you should have the LCA bushings replaced at a machine shop. You can easily upgrade to bigger torsion bars at this time for additional $$$.
To remove the torsion bars, loosen LCA nut, remove clip at rear crossmember, and drive the T bar backward. The easiest way is to notch a couple of 2x4 pieces, and bolt them around the bar securely. Then hold the 2x4's by the ends, and drive them backward with a hammer. Other considerations are putting the front frame on jackstands to unload the t-bars, and possibly backing off the torsion bar adjusters found in the bottom of the LCA's if the bars don't come out. You will have to set the ride height again if you back off on the adjusters. Good luck

-
Back