torsion bar decoding

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
can someone tell me what torsion bars i have? the one on the passenger side is marked dd over cd than an R beside it and below it 366, the drivers side is 893. they are in a 1967 barracuda that has had the K frame changed over for the Disk brakes. the front end has been all rebuilt, so i don't know if the torsion bars have been upgraded. thanks Gerry

okay, i just found out that the 893 is correct for my drivers side, and the passenger side is supposed to be 892, so is the 366 a replacement for possibly the original 892? they are both the same diameter! Thanks Gerry

The 366 is not a torsion bar number that you can decode. Look at the other end. Those would be the small block handling package torsion bars and also came with the 383 in 67. .870" diameter.

892 and 893 are the HD small block torsion bars, more commonly referred to as "340 bars," because they were stock on 340 cars. But they were found in 318 A/C cars, cars w/tow packages, fleet cars with the HD suspension option.

For a SB car they work well for decent handling and a good ride. If matched with a sway bar, they handle fairly crisp- had them in my '68 GT and they are in my '69 Valiant 2-dr

thanks V100 and Jim. Well Jim you were right as usual, the number 892 was on the other end, which of course means that the tosion bars can go in either way. i've located another 383 for my 1967 Barracuda, so from your information the torsion bars i have are the ones that they had for the 383 in 1967 and i'll continue using. thanks again Gerry

-
Back