torsion bar dust boots install

-

investigator

Reaction score
Don't know if any one has tried this but I cut off the long part of a transmission funnel so that it barely fit over the hex end of torsion bar. Oiled the funnel and slid the boot down the gradually expanding funnel until it poped on to the torsion bar. Incase I wasn't clear enough I can post pics if needed. Hope this helps those having trouble.

It also helps to heat them at 150° F in a toaster oven to help soften the rubber to make it easier to expand.

Typical rubber will melt above 240° F, so you want to stay under that...

What I did on mine is lube them, stretch them over a big socket, and then stretched them from there over to a LARGER socket. Please don't ask me what size LOL

Frankly, I'm not too sure they are all that necessary. The LCAs don't have them, neither are the rear of the rear sockets sealed

I put mine in boiling water for a couple minutes. Made them real pliable. However, I think the ones I had were polyurethane, they came with the Firm Feel torsion bars I bought.

I put mine in boiling water for a couple minutes. Made them real pliable. However, I think the ones I had were polyurethane, they came with the Firm Feel torsion bars I bought.

Same here.
The funnel was a great idea though, but I think for poly they would still have to be heated.
Tough little mothers. :D

I just did mine last week i took a 1-1/16 socke and pushed the poly dust cover over it in a vice with a heatgun, it does go on. then push very fast over the torsion bar. if you miss go back to the vice. lol it works and shrinks back to original size.

I dont us them on my cars...they just hold dirt .

Does anyone have a picture of the dust boots installed? I am having a hard time picturing them in my mind, if they were not factory equipment. Stupid me, I don't even know what end they would go on, front or rear?

Don't know if any one has tried this but I cut off the long part of a transmission funnel so that it barely fit over the hex end of torsion bar. Oiled the funnel and slid the boot down the gradually expanding funnel until it poped on to the torsion bar. Incase I wasn't clear enough I can post pics if needed. Hope this helps those having trouble.

Thats what I did and heated them in hot water first!

Used originals from Mopar and they popped right on!

-
Back