torsion bar question

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
i recently bought and installed new torsion bars from mopar performance from my local chrysler dealership in my 70 dart, and after i installed them i was told there is a left and a right torsion bar? where is this labelled? and i have no idea if the left or right is in their correct positions? but is it a huge deal if they aren't in their correct positions?

I once heard of a Mopar with the torsion bars installed backward. Looked fine till one day it started bounceing and the bars gave way. Yes the bars have a left and a right, there should be a number on the bar ending with a 1 as Left and and 2 as Right.

some bars are bias left to right others are the same, It depends on the part number.

if i remember right, the numbers are right side(pass) are even and left side are odd.

Most bars are handed left and right, but there is no front-rear. If you got the car to a reasonable ride height and still have adjuster left you probably guessed right. Odd number is drivers side like redfastback said, and OEM bars had numbers on both ends.

ahah yepppp unfortunatly i put them in backwards. left one on passenger side, right one on drivers. but thank you for your responses, i appreciate the help.

That's the 50 - 50 - 80 rule, given a 50-50 chance of getting it right, there's an 80 percent chance you don't :-D

My understanding is that if they are new it does not matter left or right. Because they are not front to back sensitive when new. The problem is if you take them out and put them back in. I think of it as "coil set" once a spring has been used a certain way for a while it does not like to be bent back the other way. That is what ends happening if you take them out and put them in the opposite position.That is when you could have problems. You should be able to confirm that with companies that make replacement torsion bars.

My understanding is that if they are new it does not matter left or right. Because they are not front to back sensitive when new. The problem is if you take them out and put them back in. I think of it as "coil set" once a spring has been used a certain way for a while it does not like to be bent back the other way. That is what ends happening if you take them out and put them in the opposite position.That is when you could have problems. You should be able to confirm that with companies that make replacement torsion bars.

all torsion bars are twisted in a left or right direction(except for some circle track ones). there IS a left and right. when you tighten up the adjuster, it twists it more. his were in backwards.

You would know better. I was going by what the manufacture of torsion bars told me.

It would matter if you turned them end for end on the same side. In effect you would be turning a right into a left, or was that a left into a right?

Jack

It would matter if you turned them end for end on the same side. In effect you would be turning a right into a left, or was that a left into a right?

Jack

No, it's OK to swap them end for end -- the twist would still be in the same direction (visualize it). The only reason you want the numbers in the rear is so the next poor sap can clean off the grease and see what you have installed in there without having to pull them.

No, it's OK to swap them end for end -- the twist would still be in the same direction (visualize it). The only reason you want the numbers in the rear is so the next poor sap can clean off the grease and see what you have installed in there without having to pull them.

?????????????????

The numbers on crossmember ends made no sense to me until I pulled them during my brake conversion. The LCA end had 892L on passenger side, and 893R on driver side.

Obviously they are backwards, side to side. However, since the numbers can't be read from the crossmember side, it should not matter, right?

The bars had a lot of adjustment in them before I removed them, and they held up the car with no problems since I owned the car!

'splain Lucy!

?????????????????

The numbers on crossmember ends made no sense to me until I pulled them during my brake conversion. The LCA end had 892L on passenger side, and 893R on driver side.

Obviously they are backwards, side to side. However, since the numbers can't be read from the crossmember side, it should not matter, right?

The bars had a lot of adjustment in them before I removed them, and they held up the car with no problems since I owned the car!

'splain Lucy!

I don't want to leave this thread without making some corrections to my reply.

The bars are on the correct sides. The left side is flipped end to end, but it does have an L on it.

This now concurs with what mvh said.

Thanks

-
Back