Torsion bar removal question

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
Ok, I have seen several of those torsion bar removal tools in the mags. What I want to know is the purpose of them.

Is it just to keep from scratching the bars, or is it to keep from damaging them? I always thought that if they got nicked, that would fatigue the bars and increase the possibility of them breaking under load, which would probably suck.

So is the tool worth getting? I would like to keep the bars usable. I hate damaging parts just to take an easy way out. How hard is it to make the tool myself? All I really got is handtools and a drill press. I do have access to a welding machine though.

I have to remove the bars to take the engine/trans/front suspension out from under the car. I plan on getting all that into shape at a different location than the car currently sits, putting it all back in, then praying to god and getting the car home.

Thanks,

I bought my own tool, but you could make. It just clamps to the T bars and then you whack it with a hammer and the bars come out. Saved a lot of headaches over the years. They are made from aluminum so as not to damage the bars. You could probably search for some photos and have enough info to fab up yourself. By the way, a nick on the bar does not fatigue it, it causes a stress riser area which will create a weak point and then the possibility of a break.

Cheap and simple. If you are concerned about nicking the bar, wrap it with a rag.

I have dismantled a few a body cars -- all from the midwest(rust issues) & have yet to use any tool on the "T" bar---- using the lca arm as a pry point they all have come out cleanly. Lawrence

---- using the lca arm as a pry point they all have come out cleanly. Lawrence

Can you explain this better? Only way I can picture this is to pull the strut rod, the LCA pivot nut, and pry the LCA out?

Can you explain this better? Only way I can picture this is to pull the strut rod, the LCA pivot nut, and pry the LCA out?

Exactly.

If you're taking apart the entire suspension this is the way to go. Drop the strut rod, remove the LCA pivot nut and you can use the entire LCA to push/drive the torsion bar out. If the torsion bars are really stuck you can use a dead-blow hammer on the LCA's to drive them out. Once the torsion bars are clear of the rear sockets a couple whacks with the dead blow and the LCA will be off the other end of the torsion bar. Piece of cake, and no chance of damaging the torsion bars. And as long as you're not using a BFH on the LCA's, no real chance of damaging them either.

This was a big help.Worked great ..Thanks alot!

-
Back