Torsion bar removal

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. I've got the torsion bars loose with the clips out. How do you get 'em out without using vise-grips?

I usually loosen up the lower control arm pivots also and bump 'em back just a touch. It seams to remind the t-bar that it can actually come out. Short of that there is an official tool for it that is basically a beatable pillow block that bolts around the t-bar. I made one out of a couple of old extended spring shackles. Works pretty darn good.

Revhendo

wound up ruining mine to get them out. If they are really rusted in there you can cut them at a place where you can swing a hammer to drive them out. Hope you don't need to do this, the tool should grip them well enough to drive them out.

I had the same problem with mine when I took out the K Member. No way were those suckers going to move, soooooo, instead of wrecking the bars, I just put my floor jack under the K Member and then "gently" :) tapped each side of the K Member FORWARD until the K Member came off the torsion bars. Then just a little tap with a hammer and the T Bars were loose and I removed them out the back. Reverse thinking!! :)

I went to the local Mopar dealership and borrowed the tool from them. Fortunately I know most of the mechanics that work there.

X

Once I smacked the lower control arm pivot a couple times and got the torsion bar semi-loose, I wrapped a piece of silicone rubber baffle seal aroun the rod, then clamped it with vise-grips. A couple smacks down by the jaws and it popped loose. The tool looks really nice, though, and I'll buy one just to have it around. Thanks for the link and the ideas, guys!

-
Back