Torsion bar shaft removal

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding the front suspension on my 70 Duster, never have done much front end work. I got the LCA arm out and am looking at pressing out the torsion bar shaft but it has a collar on the shaft on the thread side. Does that come off somehow? I viewed a article from MoparMuscle that I found on a thread here and it doesn't show it.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 286
Why are you wanting to remove it? Done some myself but never had the need to disassemble any further. Is something broke?
Small Block

replacing the bushing. My winter's project is the front suspension and since I got it apart I want to do as much as I can. PST included the bushing in their kit so I want to put it in. But I am guessing that collar has to come off somehow before the new bushing goes on, but do I need to get it off before pressing the shaft out of the old bushing?

I would take them to a local shop and have them pressed in and out.
It only cost me 20 bucks to have both of them changed.

most likely, pressing it out will separate the bushing, and the inner part will stay stuck on the shaft. Might have to cut it off (grind a line down it to split it, off it comes).

The pin will press out from the back side fairly easily and the rubber bushing will also come out without too much effort. The trick is getting the sleeve out.

If you're good with torches, you can cut the sleeve without damaging the control arm, but the safe way, is to use an air-chisel or cut off wheel to split the steel sleeve and then chisel the rest out, once it's split.

Never enjoyed doing this job but if you want to change the bushings, it must be done.

Hint for getting the new bushings in... freeze em first. Contracts the steel a few thous. and they press in easier.

Good luck.

*Stinger*

Hey guys, got one side done this morning, worked great! Thanks for all the help. Pressed the shaft out, cut out the rubber part of the bushing, scored the outer shell of the bushing and folded it in. Came in from the hex side with a long punch, put it under the lip I made and it popped out pretty quick. Thanks for all the help. I got another post coming with a question on the struts, hope I get as much help.

Thanks again!

Hi I just did the same thing and didnt notice when we took it apart but on reassenbly the shaft does not seem to go all the way in. The shoulder of the shaft does not touch the LCA maybe 5/8 away is that right or should it go all the way to the LCA? The link posted above shows the same thing on its finesed LCA and that is what mine looks like just want to make sure.

Must be the winter of new front ends. I'm putting all new bushings and and stuff in my front end too.

What you are seeing in the pic is correct. That is as far as the shaft goes into the LCA. Dennis

I did one at a time, so I could use the other side for reference. It was a pain to try to get the bushings pushed back into the same spot, as there's quite a bit of room for them either direction. You would think they'd have a stop shoulder. I hope mine are close enough. it looks like if you press it on too far, it may allow the LCA to scrub the frame.

-
Back