torsion bar squeak

-

Tnplumber

Reaction score
The front end of my Dart is very good condition, one problem it seems my torsion bars are squeaking. It is kind of annoying. Is there a safe way to grease them?? What is the procedure?

thanks,

Scott

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I would start with a good grease job. Hit all the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, and have a friend bounce the car up and down while you look and listen for squeaks. You will probably find the noise coming from a control arm bushing or a strut rod bushing. Almost a certainty if they are polyurethane. If that is the case, install Zerk fittings so you can grease them without taking the suspension apart. Don't see how a solid bar can make noise when it is twisted and allowed to relax, which is what your torsion bars do.

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. I would start with a good grease job. Hit all the ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, and have a friend bounce the car up and down while you look and listen for squeaks. You will probably find the noise coming from a control arm bushing or a strut rod bushing. Almost a certainty if they are polyurethane. If that is the case, install Zerk fittings so you can grease them without taking the suspension apart. Don't see how a solid bar can make noise when it is twisted and allowed to relax, which is what your torsion bars do.

I have already done the front end lube, I guess I see what you are saving about the torsion bars not squeakin. I will try your other suggestions, I'll keep you posted, thanks.

The lower control arm bushings is what is squeaking. I had a Charger that did the same thing except it got louder and louder. I would spray it with WD-40, motor oil etc... but the ultimate cure was new bushings.... it didn't squeak any longer after that.

If you have to take it apart to repair,use never seize compound,works on poly bushings but on rubber bushings works even better(it doesn't eat the rubber up) grease will break down the rubber

A squeek probably is the lower arm bushings. There should be a small amount of grease on the ends of the trosion bars when installed. Those hex sockets are less than a press fit. A tap or bump noise from those would be very inermitent and not a squeek.

i had poly bushings on the scamp and the upper control arm bushings use to sqeek like crazy. i would spray them with wd- 40 and it would go away. im going to use rubber bushings on the valiant.

-
Back