Torsion bar upgrade

-
When I rebuilt my front end, I went to .89 big block torsion bars and Addco 1 1/8 sway front. It made a huge difference and I am very happy with the balance between handling and ride.

Being a '75, mine has a different sway bar setup than what Dave shows above.

.089 or .092 are as far as i would go. just a preference here, but it will ride like a wheelbarrow with heavier torsion bars. i went with the .089 on my 340 demon and they took a while to "settle in". the ride is still firm but very responsive. i wouldn't want anything stronger myself. again just an opinion.....

just saw you had .081 bars now. what ever you choose it is going to be a huge upgrade from where you are now. .089 is 4 steps heavier, and .092 is 5 steps heavier. good shocks are a must as well. kyb's , or any good nitrogen filled shock is a big help....

I agree with 'superdart,' about the torsion bar size. Too stiff will make it jittery over pavement imperfections (larger rims w/performance rubber and high pressure gas shocks will compound this) and the ride will suffer somewhat. My alignment/frame shop connection told me that w/the old Mopars use a stiff front anti-swaybar and a moderately sprung bar in the rear-they'll oversteer if the back is too stiff due to the semi-elliptical leaf springs (which actually turn into turns by design).

Well I do have new Kyb's in the car right now, and am planning on getting a set of centerline 15" ...

I got some new bushings and the .92's plus an alinement going on right now!

From everything I read on here I decided with the .92's. I am excited to see how it drives!

Thanks to everyone for their imput!

Shane

give us an update here when it is all done and let us know how the ride is now compaired to what it was......

The only thing to consider with the larger torsion bars is the ride height adjustment, with 1.12" bars I ran out of adjustment on my torsion bar adjusters at stock ride height, couldn't go any lower than that (which is why I now have 2" drop spindles).

Just Suspension also sells a 1" torsion bar for around the same price, I think JS lists theirs at $250,

I seem to recall reading recently of a manufacturer that was making h/d torsion bars with the hex ends reindexed so that you could have the car low but retain adjustment - I can't remember who it was though. Does anyone else know?

I looked on the Just Suspension website last night and it doesn't list anything under torsion bars - is there somewhere else I should be looking for them?

Thanks

Put the 383 a-body bars in my 66 valiant and it got much stiffer along with a 1-1/8 sway bar. I have not driven the car much except around the block but it is much stiffer all around. The new 340 leaf springs and subframe connectors make a huge difference as well.

Just an FYI note for those early-a body guys. The larger torsion bars will affect header clearance.

I seem to recall reading recently of a manufacturer that was making h/d torsion bars with the hex ends reindexed so that you could have the car low but retain adjustment - I can't remember who it was though. Does anyone else know?

I looked on the Just Suspension website last night and it doesn't list anything under torsion bars - is there somewhere else I should be looking for them?

Thanks

JS used to have them, they made a 1.09" zero-indexed bar. They no longer list them on their website, they seem to have replaced them with a 1" 30 degree indexed (stock index) bar. The 1" bars on their site are much less $ than the 1.09's were, and I don't know if you can still get the 1.09" from them. If you really wanted them I'm thinking you'd have to call, maybe they have some left over...

I'm not sure what's up with their site, I was there last week without issues but it looks like at the moment they only list the t-bars under the "build your own suspension kit" feature. :dontknow:

I just put a set of JS 1" bars on my car - i get an alignment later on this week and then were off on a 600 mile roadtrip to OC maryland and back, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Went from an original /6 bar / addco sway bar / kyb to the just suspension 1" bars in a 360 powered 66 cuda - cant wait to drive it!

Bigger torsion bars are pretty much a "must do" as far as I'm concerned. Sway bars will help some, but our old mopars were drastically undersprung from the factory in the front. The .94 bars sound like a good option, it doesn't take much diameter change with the torsion bars to result in a big difference. But you could also go a size larger without any problems.

For some reference, I went up to 1.12" bars on my Challenger, vs. the stock .88" bars (this is a HUGE increase in spring rate, from ~100 lbs to 270!). The handling is VERY much improved, even without sway bars. And although I prefer a stiffer ride with my vehicles, I wouldn't say its harsh at all. The only thing to consider with the larger torsion bars is the ride height adjustment, with 1.12" bars I ran out of adjustment on my torsion bar adjusters at stock ride height, couldn't go any lower than that (which is why I now have 2" drop spindles).

For a small block A-body though I would think that Firm Feels .94" or 1.0" bar would be great on the street, depending on what you were looking for. Even the 1.0" bar should leave plenty of adjustability to get lower than stock ride height if your car is lowered a little. Just Suspension also sells a 1" torsion bar for around the same price, I think JS lists theirs at $250, FFI lists theirs at $285. Larger than a 1" bar would probably begin to invite adjustability issues, and the ride would start to be pretty stiff.

If you look at FFI http://www.firmfeel.com/torsionb_a.htm they list the spring rates with the size of the bar, so you get an idea of how much of a change you're looking at.

One thing to note that you have some thick profile tires. That makes a significant ride difference. Lower profile will transmit more cracks and bumps in the pavement. And the Z rated stuff has a stiffer sidewall too.

Well I do have new Kyb's in the car right now, and am planning on getting a set of centerline 15" ...

I got some new bushings and the .92's plus an alinement going on right now!

From everything I read on here I decided with the .92's. I am excited to see how it drives!

Thanks to everyone for their imput!

Shane

Shane

Be carefull with 15" rims of the front. You could have problems with tire rubbing as you crank the wheel.

I have 235 60 14 on the front of mine. I have 1/4" clear.

Maybe low profile tires, if you like that look.

Jim

Hello all,

Well I got the bigger bars in. HUGE difference! I love the way it rides now. I dont find it over stiff at all, MUCH better in corners(especially have fun on the on/off ramps of the highway)

I am sure the new control arm bushings play a big part in the better quality ride, but I am very happy I went ahead and put the new bars in there!

Shane

Hello all,

Well I got the bigger bars in. HUGE difference! I love the way it rides now. I dont find it over stiff at all, MUCH better in corners(especially have fun on the on/off ramps of the highway)

I am sure the new control arm bushings play a big part in the better quality ride, but I am very happy I went ahead and put the new bars in there!

Shane

I think a good choice with a convertible. With a hardtop or fastback I would have went one step stiffer or so.
Convertible are more prone for rattling and don't have as stiff chassis.

Next step would be hellwig front sway bars and frame connectors.

I got the frame connectors already!

They were a GREAT improvement.

The plan is is for a sway bar as the next step...

thank you for saying that......

This is not actually true. Torsion bars do not lose their spring rate, it's literally a metallurgic property of the metal.

They do "sag" though, which is why the adjustment changes over time. Unlike a leaf or coil spring that compresses or flattens out though the change is in the offset of the hex ends. If you think about the bar "unwinding" over time that is how the sag works. It's not exactly what's happening, but the result is basically the same.

-
Back