Torsion bars and shocks needed

-

Hal Curlee

Reaction score
I was hoping to talk to someone from PST regarding some new torsion bars and shocks for my 65 Barracuda. I have a tubular "K" frame set up from what is now Mancini Racing. It has the tubular "A" arms, upper and lower with the adjustable strut rods and the Wilwood disc brakes. I inadvertently displaced one of the torsion bars and find myself in the market. Anyone around?

The set up I bought, probably over 10 years ago, had options for the coil overs or closer to stock with shock mounts and the torsion bars.

DD9B6540-53E4-4D00-82C4-5F4C2F6C6EF5.jpeg

4FD21257-AE6F-4035-860A-07F36D17E402.jpeg

The set up I bought, probably over 10 years ago, had options for the coil overs or closer to stock with shock mounts and the torsion bars.

Over 10 years ago?

Man, I have bad news for you. Those parts were made by CAP. They were bought out by QA1 for their designs, which included the tubular K frame, tubular LCA’s, and adjustable strut rods that QA1 now sells.

But here’s the deal, CAP had terrible quality control and even worse welding. They had multiple failures of their parts, a couple of which resulted in accidents. I had a set of their tubular lower control arms on my Challenger, the welds cracked. The UCA design they used wasn’t great, and QA1 substantially changed the design for their UCA’s.

I wouldn’t run any CAP made parts that have a weld. Sorry.

yea i thought that looked like cap crap..

i still have no idea why QA1 bought that garbage. took them over a year to redesign it and make it safe.

here is cap crap in action..

marks road runner after tree collision 003.JPG

marks road runner after tree collision 005.JPG

Anotherbreak.jpg

brokengearmount.jpg

brokengearmount2.jpg

brokenidlermount.jpg

CapK_square.jpg

yea i thought that looked like cap crap..

i still have no idea why QA1 bought that garbage. took them over a year to redesign it and make it safe.

here is cap crap in action..

View attachment 1715505343

View attachment 1715505344

View attachment 1715505345

View attachment 1715505346

View attachment 1715505347

View attachment 1715505348

View attachment 1715505349

Honestly, only the UCA’s and K frame were significantly redesigned. Mostly the UCA’s. The first version of the QA1 lower control arms are pretty much identical to the CAP version, except with better welding (I have both). The latest version added a bump stop but the rest of the arm is the same. The adjustable strut rods are pretty much identical too, but there was never any welding in those.

With the exception of the UCA’s, CAP’s designs were actually good. The problem was their production and welding.

Given that their reputation was tanking when QA1 bought them, I bet that QA1 got a pretty good deal on their designs. A year from design to production is a pretty quick turnaround for any kind of serious production numbers. So QA1 probably got a great deal on some good designs. Sure there was risk involved and they did have to do some additional design work, but I would guess they did pretty well on the whole deal.

Over 10 years ago?

Man, I have bad news for you. Those parts were made by CAP. They were bought out by QA1 for their designs, which included the tubular K frame, tubular LCA’s, and adjustable strut rods that QA1 now sells.

But here’s the deal, CAP had terrible quality control and even worse welding. They had multiple failures of their parts, a couple of which resulted in accidents. I had a set of their tubular lower control arms on my Challenger, the welds cracked. The UCA design they used wasn’t great, and QA1 substantially changed the design for their UCA’s.

I wouldn’t run any CAP made parts that have a weld. Sorry.
I seriously appreciate the heads up!! Reckon I need to plan out a new approach then. I wonder if I could get some help from QA1 then. I did wonder why I was no longer able to get hold of anyone from Cap? hahahaha. Wait till the l'lady figures out I wasted all of that money

Geeeezus!!! That got my attention! Is there any law suit?

no idea. the cap owner couldn't wait to sell it seems. i thought i heard that someone was trying to go after him in court but not sure how true that was. the former cap owner used to post here once in a while. got all bent out of shape when pics started showing up of his crappy welds.

I remember seeing ads in HRM and other mags long ago, wondered what happened to CAP, now I know, glad I could never afford to buy that stuff.

I seriously appreciate the heads up!! Reckon I need to plan out a new approach then. I wonder if I could get some help from QA1 then. I did wonder why I was no longer able to get hold of anyone from Cap? hahahaha. Wait till the l'lady figures out I wasted all of that money

No problem! Hate to see anyone get hurt because they used that stuff.

I doubt that QA1 will be much help, I don’t think they inherited the responsibility to support the CAP made parts. But you never know, they might be willing to work with you. Anything would be better than nothing right?

I doubt that QA1 will be much help, I don’t think they inherited the responsibility to support the CAP made parts. But you never know, they might be willing to work with you. Anything would be better than nothing right?

50833F55-BCBF-4A00-A63D-ADA0A64CB314.jpeg

0F5DBDC3-316C-453D-B6B8-15E67E1DB1B8.jpeg

21FDCCBF-BF1C-41A0-9AEF-EF44E56EB2B3.jpeg

DC6E3CD7-163D-443F-BAC0-67F8DDF3CD2F.jpeg

and.... I was not second guessing ya....I was just trying to start a thread with QA1 on their forum. Just realized you responded there as well.

-
Back