torsion bars

-
Th eBarracuda I changed from 340 bars to slant 6 bars. Never drove it with teh 6 bars though. The Scamp had slant 6 bars in it. Im leaving them. What bars are in your car ?

Slant 6 bars are the smallest. With the smaller bars you need to crank them up to keep the ride height up. This stores energy in the bar causing it to transfer the wieght to the back tires faster. Mopar Perf. also sells a drag race bar wich is even smaller but they are $250 now.

Smaller bars will fail sooner or "loose their resistance to torsional twist" and will "sag" sooner. In a drag car this is not a big concern as they dont see alot of use, a daily driver would be a different story though as far as for a car with a big block or even a small block. I wouldn't run slant bars on either of those on a daily driver because they will give up sooner.

why are the bars on a slant smaller??? I thought that engine was the heaviest one they put in .Unless its the torque??

The performance handling book says the following for A-Body:

Slant 6 Diam. .83" Rate: 92#
2-bbl V8 Diam. .85" Rate: 101#
4bbl V8 Diam. .87" Rate 110#
383 V8 Diam. .89" Rate: 120#

I can post the part numbers for the factory bars I have in this book if anyone needs it. They are stamped on the front or rear, or sometimes both.
My Duster was a 318 car with .85" Bars on it. I added the 360 and 727 and the handling went WAY down (car was lower also, had to crank those adjusters). I recently rebuilt the suspension and added .87" bars. WOW, the handling was night and day different. Even without the the sway bar on it handles pretty good. But, I dont race the car (yet), so I'm not sure what bars are right for that. Hope this helps!

For a street driven car the \6 bars even in a \6 car are to soft. When my car still had the \6 it would bottom out over dips in the road and speed bumps. I replaced the bars with the .89" big block bars and the improvement i handling was like night and day. When I swapped in the 360 the ride was still good but the car had more body roll in corners. I added a 1 1/8" sway bar which improved the handling with the 360 so that it was better than the \6 with out the sway bar. In all three cases I had KYB gas-a-just shocks.

IMHO, if your car is a street car with maybe an occasional blast down the strip up grage to the .89" bars.

I had to replace mine cause one of them broke......while it was sitting in the garage thank god......I woke up and went out side to take the car to work that day and noticed it leaning.......turned out the driver's side bar was in two pieces. I replaced the /6 bars with new /6 bars.

I used /6 bars in my 73 duster with a nice little 360 running High 13's and driving it to work every day. Drove great. I have a set out of a 72 Demon if anyone needs a set.

-
Back