Torsion Bolt

-

MemphisDart

Reaction score
Ok guys
noob question

I'm looking at the torsion bolt under the lower arm...is this the correct position of the bolt, because it looks as if I have nowhere to turn...and by turning it clockwise I will lift the car and counter clockwise i'm lowering it correct?

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 357
  • photo (3).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 363
  • photo (4).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 347
Yes, that's it. But it looks like yours is bottomed out...

Is it possible that your torsion bars are old and starting to sag??? You may need to replace them if you can't get them cranked up high enough.

Could the fact that I have changed the front drums to disk and put 17 Inch wheels on the car make a difference?

You'll need to back the torsion bar out and reclock the hex. Even when thebolt is all the way out there should be a preload on the torsion bar.

Oooookay...not the brightest when it comes to suspension talk...relock the hex, meaning take it out turn it and stick it back in? Might have to break it down for me if possible.

Back the adjust bolt out. Back the torsion bar out of the lower arm hex socket.
You'll probably need to remove the bump stop from underneath the upper arm so the spindle, hex socket and all moves low enough the change the torsion bars orientation 1 position in the hex.
Service manuals state these proceedures a lot clearer than I can. Free download too so...

You will also need to loosen the lower control arm nut that goes through the k-frame to get that adjuster arm to clock all the way over. Don't tighten nut all the way until ride height is adjusted and the weight of the car is on the front tires.

You will also need to loosen the lower control arm nut that goes through the k-frame to get that adjuster arm to clock all the way over. Don't tighten nut all the way until ride height is adjusted and the weight of the car is on the front tires.

X2 and thanks. I forgot that the OEM type bushings dont allow free movement.

Ok changed the torsion bars and rolled the car out front end needs to be adjusted, but it didn't do a nose dive...noticed that the wheels still lean inward at the top a bit and right wheel is straight forward and the left if turned...alignment?

Attachments

• dart111.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 211
  • dart112.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 222
  • dart113.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 198
Yeah, and you may need some Moog offset upper control arm bushings to get enough camber adjustment. Your alignment tech can advise you on this if he knows what he is doing.

-
Back