Torsion rod adjustment

-

GJSZ51

Reaction score
My 65 Barracuda resurrection is nearly complete. It is running beyond break in but has yet to move 1 foot under it's own power and that moment is upon me. I like it's stance as it is but it occurs to me that, beyond suspension assembly, no other adjustments have been made. In fact, none of the castle nuts are pinned in preparation of being trailered to the alignment shop.

I am concerned about some wheel rub at the front due to the tire size. No rub has occured while pushing it around the shop, etc but then. not demands have been placed on the suspention.

Having said all that in the interest of explanation, what is the best way to set the torsion rods. Can the suspension be raised by use of the rods?

As usual, all advice is greatly appreciated!

front ride height is set with the torsion bar adjustment bolts - they raise the vehicle as you "tighten" them - obtain desired ride height by measuring - you want the left and right sides to be as close as possible to the same - a tape measure is invaluable here - it may take a couple of tries to get them the same - set it, drive it, reset it, drive it...
do you have a factory service manual? it is another invaluable tool.

Per the 65 Plymouth service manual:

65 Susp Adj 01.jpg

65 Susp Adj 012.jpg

65 Susp Adj 02.jpg

65 Susp Adj 02b.jpg

65 Susp Adj 03.jpg

front ride height is set with the torsion bar adjustment bolts - they raise the vehicle as you "tighten" them - obtain desired ride height by measuring - you want the left and right sides to be as close as possible to the same - a tape measure is invaluable here - it may take a couple of tries to get them the same - set it, drive it, reset it, drive it...
I do not have a service manual. I had the good fortune of disassembling a very complete car and am good with a camera and labeling. I do, however, have a number of measuring devices and the skill sets to use them! Thanks for the help!

Thank you, krazykuda! Exactly what I was looking for.

Perhaps I will buy a service manual. Now that I am finishing

Service manuals are the bible for working on your Mopar and a must-have.. :steering:

-- front ride height is set with the torsion bar adjustment bolts - they raise the vehicle as you "tighten" them - obtain desired ride height by measuring - you want the left and right sides to be as close as possible to the same - a tape measure is invaluable here - it may take a couple of tries to get them the same - set it, drive it, reset it, drive it --
-- I have a 65 Valiant with 245/60-15 tires on the rear, and 225/60-15 tires on the front. As ScampMike says use a tape measure. With the car sitting on a level surface measure from the floor up across the center of the wheel to the lip on the fenderwell, above the tire. With My set-up it's 26" from the floor to the lip on the fender well, on both sides. This results in a little nose down configuration, on My car. -- You can adjust the height to Your liking.

x2....Just wanted to ad that the torsion bar adjustment only raises or lowers the height.....The diameter of the torsion bar itself determines the firmness of the ride......Just so you understand that.....If you want a stiffer suspension up front you need bigger diameter bars....The bigger diameter bars require more force to twist or torque.....Which is what torsion bar suspension is all about

--- x2....Just wanted to ad that the torsion bar adjustment only raises or lowers the height.....The diameter of the torsion bar itself determines the firmness of the ride......Just so you understand that.....If you want a stiffer suspension up front you need bigger diameter bars....The bigger diameter bars require more force to twist or torque.....Which is what torsion bar suspension is all about --
-- Here's some info re factory sizes
T - Bars.JPG

I haven't read all of the service manuals procedure so I'll add this in a 'grain of salt" fashion...
Lift the vehicle weight, adjust, lower again. When these parts were brand new one might have lifted the vehicles weight with those screws. Today, at 50 years old, thread damage will occur.
I sold a 68 notch back 2 weeks ago and those torsion adjusters had been completely relieved. I insisted we put a floor jack under the K, lift, wind the adjusters up a bunch of turns and let'er down again. My only goal was to keep the lower valance up and off of the roll backs bed.

Heres my approach.
1. Back off or loosen the nut on the lower control arms.
2. Lift the front wheels off the ground with floor jack.
3. Screw the torsion bar adjusters in, past your desired height.
4. Place car back on ground.
5. Slowly loosen, or lower drivers side to desired height.
6.Take a tape measure and measure from ground to bottom of fender. Lock tape measure.
7. With tape measure on ground, lower passenger side until the tape touches the fender.
8. Bounce the car up and down to see if the car keeps its desired height.
9. Re-tighten the lower control arm nuts (very important, with car on the ground).
10. Get alignment.

-
Back