Total newbie clutch question

-

Badfish1

Reaction score
Hello have a question about the clutch on my 67 cuda 318. The clutch does not engage until it is almost completely released. Does that sound ok? Also if I wanted to adjust how difficult is the adjustment. Is there anything specific I should know when adjusting. Everything seems to be working ok but when I go to get on it a little sometimes I wish it could grab or engage sooner without having to let the clutch out all the way. Sorry if this seems silly but have only had the car a few months and is all new to me. I have never even adjusted a clutch so any help would be great. Thanks

Wow no replies? Lol

You deff want the clutch to release on the top side of the pedal, however if adjusted to far up the clutch may not completely engage, if you have a inspection cover on your bell housing then you can use a feeler gauge to adjust the clutch, i think its supposed to have somewhere around .010 of tolerance between the clutch and flywheel when pedal is depressed but dont hold me to it, maybe someone will chime in, but from what you describe it sounds like its operating corectly.
My clutch releases on the upper end of the pedal too, ive always heard as a general guide you want tthe clutch to be fully disengaged within the first couple inches if pedal movement

.010 is not enough....Try .060 to .080 or so.
But the simple way is;
You will want to adjust the freeplay to about 1 inch.Freeplay is the amount of initial pedal travel before you feel resistance. This insures that the TO bearing does not spin full-time, which would burn it up pretty quick. The amount of freeplay is somewhat customizable for your personal preference, so long as there is some and not too much. Too much freeplay leads to insufficient plate-departure. The symptom of this is difficulty in selecting first at a standstill, and the tendency for the car to creep with the clutchpedal on the floor.And possibly; gear-clash during gear changes.Too little, leads to early re-adjustment.
The adjustment is done at the outer end of the TO fork ,underneath the car. You will find a threaded rod there.
This adjustment is a normal procedure. As the disc wears, the freeplay disappears. Depending on your mileage and driving style,expect to adjust this at least, annually.
You will find the car much more driveable with freeplay in the range of 1 to 1.5 inches, and your seat adjusted such that you can control the engagement point smoothly with your thigh muscle.If you have long legs, the steering wheel will be a stretch, but worse will be banging 3rd.And there's no need to clutch it all the way to the floor, unless its hard to engage 1st at a stop. The other gears often do not need as much departure to make the shifts.
good luck

-
Back