Total Timing 5.9 Magnum

-

pjc360

Reaction score
where do the 5.9 magnums run best with total timing?
I've been told they like 30-32 total timing because of the more efficient chambers of the magnum heads.
And I've been told they like 34-35 total timing.
I'm running a 300hp crate 360 magnum, I was running a modified Mopar performance distributor from fbo systems at 16 degrees of initial timing and 34 degrees total timing.
I just recently tossed the fbo unit and bought a firecore distributor, i set the firecore distributor up with 16 degrees of mechanical advance, and set it at 16 degrees if initial timing and 32 degrees total timing.
I live in Montana where elevation is 3000 feet above sea level, since I know elevation has an effect on timing.

When I was running mine normally aspirated and with an HEI distributor and Holley 770 it seemed to like a little more timing. 36-38 degrees. But I'm at sea level.

I would think at sea level it would want a little less timing cause of the air being thicker and at higher elevation it could handle a little more timing cause of the air being thinner

I heard you dial in more n more until it pings, then back it off a couple degrees.

Vacuum advance for the pros, no vacuum advance for the schmoes.

-
Back