Total Timing?

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
Hey boys what do you run your total at? I have a 340(346) 4sp 3:73rear ratio MSD/Msd dizzy 750Bigs carb um don't know the spec on the cam off handbut can find. But at this point running 20 initial with a 14* bushing from 4seconds flat so total is 34*. Im at the track tommorrow for the last day and may play with the timing a tad. Was told 34 would be max on Mopar Small block? I know theres no crystal balls out there that work but would total of 36 be a possibiliy? That would give me a initial 0f 22* Opinions please? Best run has been 13.2@106 seemed flat when hit 4th last time kinda scared maybe clutch and or total timing? 13.4'S Seemed to be most common. Can 2degress total make that much difference or Am I barking up wrong tree? D [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivE09cjbaI"]YouTube - Duster 340 4sp Vs New Challenger[/ame]

One things for sure is,your car has some real good mph for that et.
With that mph you should be in the high 12 to mid 12 second range.
If you run the timing at 36 and gain more mph, then it was the right move.
I run 38 in my 360 and it always seems to run the best with 38.
I have been thinking of bringing it down to 36 to see what happens.
Try a little more and see what the slip says.

I would work on your 60 foot times.

If you get that thing to hook better, your mile an hour will most likely drop down and the et will pick up.
GOOD LUCK8)

Timing is very individualistic. Without knowing the cam or compression I would say the best thing you can do is vary it 2° at a time and see what it likes.

That being said, as it's a 340 with factory heads, I'd think it will want closer to 38-40° total, but I dont think it should all be initial. The engine won't need that much at lower rpms... So make sure you have the right springs in the distributor. The curve is more than just initial and total.

Totally agree with both you guys, Did forget to mention 10.5:1 KeithBlack Pistons and yes stock X heads. I tried last wkd taking off hard and ran 13.6 IIRC. Running street tires BF'S So that is a draw back. Have been told "High Rpm launch" Should bring me into the high 12's hopefully will try tommorow best 60 foot time was 2.08 I believe that was a 13.2 Run D

I think with the package you have, a more conservative launch might be better. You need to look into the spring combination in the distributor too. My guess is peak torque is happening around 3500. So I wouldn't launch over that. I also think the 750's too much. The engine will be done making decent power after about 6K. You don't need more than 650cfm for that. I'm sure if it's a custom shop carb it flows more than 750. If it was sitting in my driveway, I'd be looking to run a 4150 series 650cfm carb, running around 18° initial, the bushing to give it another 20°, and the springs to get the curve in around 2800. I'd recommend you shifting at no higher than 5500 in first and second, and 6K in 3rd and 4th. I think these as a starting point might be good. The car seems very slow off the line and I think that's the carb more than anything else.

Thanks Moper, I know theres more tuning needed and your right about outta the hole being slow. My best 60' was 2.08 thougt that wasn't bad for street tires. I actually ran a HOLLEY(650) 4150 before the Bigs 750 was installed noticed difference in performance right away and more fuel. With the 650 and no MSD ran 14.3@102 same time of year so the carb and or the MSD brought the E.T down and the trap speed up a few. D

I think you've got another .2 pretty easy in the 60', even with the radials. But as was noted, the mph is saying you should be mid/high 12s with a stick and average driver vs mid-low 12s with an automatic. As I said, if it was me, that's what I'd be running with. Just keep after it. There's more in it.

whats your fuel system 3/8 line and are you runing headsers?? just need a littel more info and are you running vacume advance is it a mopar dis or msd dis,carb should be a nuffe just need a littel more info ps whats your compression on a cyclender 160shish ??

You need to work on the 60ft., you should be in the high 1.7s/low 1.8s at least, your MPH is good for a solid 12.5 ET, if not 12.4s, what gear/stall/tranny are you running??

-
Back