Tougher Crash Test Brings Lower Scores

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Why am I not surprised, these new crash tests are long overdo. People try to avoid a crash and often times clipping the front of a car. Too bad only 11 models were tested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/automobiles/tougher-crash-test-brings-lower-scores.html?_r=1&hpw

All 11 cars, which fall into the “entry luxury” market class, had received the top rating in previous frontal crash tests, which spread the impact of a 40 mile per hour crash over 40 percent of the car’s front end, on the driver’s side. The institute, which is financed by the insurance industry, will continue to use that 40 percent test, which it is now calling the “moderate overlap” frontal test.

The new “small overlap” frontal test is designed to replicate what happens when a car’s front corner collides with another vehicle or with a stationary object like a tree or utility pole. The new test spreads the 40 m.p.h. impact over a smaller area, about 25 percent of a car’s front end, also on the driver’s side.

That front-corner hit missed the main crush zone structures in most of the cars. These structures help to manage crash energy and reduce the impact on the passenger compartment.

The two sedans that received Good ratings in the new test were the Acura TL and Volvo S60. One model, the Infiniti G, was rated Acceptable.

Four cars received Marginal ratings: the Acura TSX, BMW 3 Series, Lincoln MKZ and Volkswagen CC. And four received the lowest rating of Poor: the Audi A4, Lexus ES 350, Lexus IS 250/

350 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

In what the institute called a first, the door of the VW CC was sheared off its hinges, raising the possibility that an occupant could be partly or completely ejected.

The institute’s new small-offset test is unlike any that it, or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has conducted before, although the federal safety administration has been considering such a test.

“We don’t do this just to make it harder,” said Adrian Lund, president of the insurance institute. “We do it because people are still dying in crashes.”

He said the new test was an effort to answer this question: Why are some 10,000 people still dying each year in frontal crashes, despite the installation of air bags, widespread use of safety belts and high scores for most new cars in previous front-crash tests?

A 2009 institute study of newer vehicles that performed well in front crash tests found that small-overlap-type crashes accounted for 20 to 25 percent of fatalities, with similar findings for serious injuries.

Mr. Lund said that the main crush-zone structures are generally found in the middle 50 percent of the car — an area struck in the previous frontal crash tests. But those structures do not typically extend to the car’s outer edges, which means that in a small-offset crash a wheel can be forced back into the footwell, resulting in serious, debilitating leg and foot injuries.

The Volvo S60 had only a few inches of intrusion, the institute reported, because its reinforced upper rails and a steel cross member below the instrument panel helped to keep the car’s “safety cage” intact. Since the late 1980s, Volvo has been performing its own small-overlap tests while developing new vehicles.

The Lexus IS suffered 10 times more intrusion, trapping the dummy’s left foot and wedging the right foot beneath the brake pedal. In the Mercedes C-Class, the dummy’s right foot was wedged beneath the brake pedal as the left front wheel was forced back.

The small-offset impact also causes the dummy to head toward the front windshield pillar, even as that pillar is pushed toward the dummy. In some cases, the restraint systems might not keep the dummy from hitting the pillar because the steering wheel, which contains the air bag, veers so far to the right that the dummy misses the bag.

Read more http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/automobiles/tougher-crash-test-brings-lower-scores.html?_r=1&hpw

Isn't the paint job pretty. who cares if the door falls off in a crash, accidents only happen to other drivers.

Attachments

• 19CRAS-articleLarge.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 157
Not to rain on your parade, but this really would never effect me as I would never own one of these ah, cars. This is akin to building a hurricane proof house, it ain't gonna happen.

Remember the movie Crazy Larry and Dirty Mary, Larry was tick off he bent a steering rod by clipping a pick up truck he knock over. Those old Mopars were safer then many want to give credit for, if only everybody used seat belts back in the 70's and drink driving limits were twice as high.

.08 and no seat belt used to be 100% legal in the 70's, just think if that was true today, it be bloodbath on the roads with these new "safe" cars - expect Volvo, you gotta give that automaker credit, they really build safer cars it looks like

Attachments

• 19crashgraphic-popup.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 135
I saw the report on the news and i agree about driving some of the new stuff, but it reminds me of Bill's (oklacarcollector) niece who has been thru a really bad situation and is recovering as we speak. Not worried about myself, but my kid's and grandkids are driving these new vehicles and i just hope the're safe enough for them.

Bill's niece is barely surviving this.............

Attachments

• Bill's niece.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 143
New cars are much safer than of the old Mopars.

If you really think 60s or 70s cars were safer, you are delusional.

Look at the pics above. Serious crashes where the bulk of the impact was absorbed by the structure collapsing (That is how they are designed).

Now look at the passenger compartments. They are both very much intact.

I am not real concerned about a front-end collision because I have never run into anything in 38 yrs of driving. I always allow plenty of space to the car in front and drive defensively. I am more worried of a side or rear impact from another car, which has been all of my accidents, 90% of which were uninsured drivers. Of course, somebody could cross a centerline and hit me head on, but I understand that is fairly rare and often fatal in any car.

I laugh my rear end completely off every time I see one destroyed.
To hell with every one of those vehicles.
Over priced over engineered metal trash can money traps designed to increase people's desire to piss away their hard earned money.

I don't know... I'm 38 yrs old. I like some of the new cars being produced today. My work truck is an 09 Silverado. However the worst wreck I've been in was a 60 mile per/hour head-on into a concrete barricade. I went over the barricade, rolled up onto one side and ended up on all four wheels in a ditch. Car was a write-off.... not a scratch on me... i was driving my 1968 Ford Torino... I was wearing only a lap belt! So I don't know about the new vs old cars... but I do think all that steel in the front end of that Torino protected me.

Driving around in a rolling pill box is not my idea of a good time. It's easy to throw money at the collision problem by installing new safety features in the car.
However, there are greater gains to be had by adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel. It takes behavior modification to keep people from driving intoxicated, distracted (e.g. cell phone conversation, texting, in-car video systems), and fatigued. Do it and the collision/death rate by motor vehicle accidents is cut in half

-
Back