tourqe convertor id

-

dustinmoran91

Reaction score
How do i tell the difference between a 318 convertor and a 360? Have one laying around i would like to use just to start the engine on the test stand

the weights will be on the front face on the converter...not on the side...

weights on the side are to balance the converter if needed...weights on the front face are to balance the engine....

IMO using a torque converter isn't the best idea because when it's not installed on a trans. the insides are left to flop around which will throw the engine out of balance. You'd be a lot better off finding a flywheel to use for that task. Plus a bellhousing makes an easy mounting surface to bolt to your engine run stand. You can usually pick up a 11" truck bell and flywheel fairly cheap. I found a set at a swap meet for $50 that I use on my stand.

IMO using a torque converter isn't the best idea because when it's not installed on a trans. the insides are left to flop around which will throw the engine out of balance. You'd be a lot better off finding a flywheel to use for that task. Plus a bellhousing makes an easy mounting surface to bolt to your engine run stand. You can usually pick up a 11" truck bell and flywheel fairly cheap. I found a set at a swap meet for $50 that I use on my stand.
thats a really good idea about the flywheel instead of the convertor. i didnt think of that. i have a 727 case thats junk and already emptied out, would that work?

Using a flywheel with a 727 case might work and it might not. First it would have to be a small flywheel to fit in the 727 case. I'm sure an 11" wouldn't fit as their really big. Plus you have to use a 10-1/2" flywheel with a 10-1/2" bellhousing and a 11" flywheel with a 11" bellhousing or the starter won't line up. Haven't done and measurement comparisons of a torque converter against a flywheel's ring gear so I'm not sure. A 10-1/2" flywheel might work, just have to measure the ring gear against a torque converter and see if it'd physically fit in the 727 case.

-
Back