towing opinions on car dolly

-

tom340

Reaction score
Closer its getting to Carlisle the more I want to bring my Duster with me. I trailered twice with my brothers 5.4L truck years past but now his car is done so he trailers it down instead.
I only have a 4.0L Ranger/auto trans and the combined weight of trailer and car would be well over 5,000 lbs. which is a bit too much to risk for 300 miles 1 way. Ranger does have the factory tow pkg. and I've seen people tow boats easily. I'm definitely not driving the car that far, especially in the mid summer heat.

Opinions on car dolly? It would be much less expensive than a fullsize trailer for sure, but I'm concerned about any possible issues I should kow.

I don't know about issues, but a few tips...
- you cannot back up that rig
- is your Duster a manual or auto? The best option to avoid transmission problems is to pull the driveshaft and plug the end of the tranny to avoid loss of fluid.
- You need to figure out some way to get brake/signal lights in the back of the Duster for the trip. The signal lights may not be so critical, but I think the brake lights would be necessary.
- plan your stops, nothing behind you has any brakes that will help you stop.

If it were me, I would consider driving the Duster. How many hours would that trip be for you? Leave early in the day and drive part way; stop at a park or other interesting place/FABO member to spend 3 or 4 hours and leave so that you get to the destination just before dark. You've done all or most of the trip in daylight, during the cool of the day, made a pitstop and didn't have to worry about driveshafts, towing, etc. JMHO.
C

I would spend the bucks on a U-Haul or Penske car trailer.
Dollies have no brakes and no tongue weight to keep the rear axle from being pushed around.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

You definetely need trailer brakes.

Anybody you know have a Dakota R/T?? 350lbs of torque ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.

NewPortRicheycamry.jpg

Talk to Curtis (waggin). He pulls cars on a trailer with his Ranger.

U-Haul will not rent you a trailer with your combo. Call them and ask.

I would spend the bucks on a U-Haul or Penske car trailer.
Dollies have no brakes and no tongue weight to keep the rear axle from being pushed around.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=AT

You definitely need trailer brakes.

Anybody you know have a Dakota R/T?? 350lbs of torque ain't nuthin' to sneeze at.
I personally do not like car dollies and I have owned several,for short in town hauls.
I agree with yellowdartdave on renting a trailer and if U-Haul can not help you out there are independent ones that will...
If not drive it like clhyer suggested.
TXDart

Towed with a dolly once, from NJ to AZ. Would never do it again. If you can't get it on a trailer just leave it home please....

What about a towbar? Didn't they use towbars alot back in the 50's, 60's and 70's to tow racecars? I see people on I-10 towing with towbars fairly often. Just a thought.

If you were closer and foot the bill for gas I'd tow it myself for the show. Maybe there is someone your way thinking along the same line.

You could always rent a U-Haul truck and trailer. Hang a hammock in the box on the truck and save on motel bills !

You could always rent a U-Haul truck and trailer. Hang a hammock in the box on the truck and save on motel bills !

That's a good idea just remember to sleep with your gun if you do that.

Car dollies are OK for small cars towed behind full-sized pickups for reasons already mentioned above. Anything else is an accident waiting to happen.

I vote drive it. It wouldn't be that bad of a trip. With anything less than 4.10 gears you'll probably actually save money on gas and would be good for the car, assuming it is mechanically sound.

This option will cost $700 plus tax, and $250 or so for fuel. This is probably around the cost of having it shipped in an enclosed transport.

Borrowing even a light trailer + your car, would exceed the towing capacity of your ranger. probably do-able at night giong real slow but no fun at all.

Driving the car or borrowing a truck/rent trailer seem like the only sane options.

I feel your pain. Everything is so darned expensive. I have towed to Carlisle the last 4 years and to Columbus for the last 2, and I plan on going to both as well as Sryacuse again this year. looking at almost 1k in fuel this year to go to shows.

Car dollies are OK for small cars towed behind full-sized pickups for reasons already mentioned above. Anything else is an accident waiting to happen.

I own my tow dolly. Used it several hundred times. Untill I spun a gmc envoy while towing a 3800 pound Mirada on Rt 78 going to Carlisle. It was raining and there was fresh asphalt. I managed not to hit anything and no damage was done. But I will never use a tow dolly for any type of highway driving again.

U-Haul will not rent you a trailer with your combo. Call them and ask.

U R right. My brother has a ***** of a time even with a fullsize Explorer. However they will allow the EXACT same suv (Lincoln) with different emblems leave the parking lot.

Ya'll talked me right out of the car dolly! The Uhaul dollies I saw had brake lights and directionals easily seen from the sides. harness just hooks to the one on my truck.
Also there is a +700 lb weight restriction for the vehicle thats doing the towing (U Haul) I dont anticipate UHaul making that easy for me to prove, or do I wish to involve myself with all that. So scratch that idea, and thanks for the input.

As far as driving the car, hell yea its road worthy but its not even close to comfortable (IMO) . 300 mile trip-mid summer heat right down to the Mason-Dixon line is something I'm not looking forward to at all. Car Trailer: I dont think the Ranger, even w/4.0L has enuff nut to do it without doing some tranny damage. I wouldnt hesitate locally if I needed to, but not 600 miles round trip. Definitely wont be spending that much $$ to rent a Uhaul truck+trailer! No chance.

Borrowing even a light trailer + your car, would exceed the towing capacity of your ranger. probably do-able at night giong real slow but no fun at all.

Driving the car or borrowing a truck/rent trailer seem like the only sane options.

I feel your pain. Everything is so darned expensive. I have towed to Carlisle the last 4 years and to Columbus for the last 2, and I plan on going to both as well as Sryacuse again this year. looking at almost 1k in fuel this year to go to shows.[/QUOTE]

If it was just about half the distance, and not so damn HOT I would drive it. I drive it up to Lebanon Valley (80 mi) but its a nice, easy ride up 22 with lotsa Sunoco 93 along the way.

LMAO! I rented a box truck and threw 15 Marines in the back for a TJ road trip once, funny as hell, They were plastered even before we parked at the border! Drive at night, less traffic.

Please don't tow it with the Ranger. Just cuz you can pull something doesn't mean that you should. You will have no control in anemergency situation. I'm having flash backs of a Nationals trip for years ago. A guy was pulling his '70 GTX behind a Ramcharger. For what ever reason, it jack knifed and rolled the GTX. Completley ruined the car. I almost cried seeing it @ the show.

You've got plenty of time to work out any bugs that the car may have. I've driven my '70 340 Swinger from just outside of DC to the Nationals in Columbus Oh a few times with 3:91s. It's not that big of a deal. Just pick a resonable highway speed and watch the miles roll on by. I just leave early in the am to get plenty of miles behind me before the heat of the day.

Tom,

I'm driving my Demon to a show in Roanoake VA in late June. About 450 mile round trip. Black car, black interior, 4 speed with 3:55 gears, 12.5 mpg with a 408 stroker, 2-60 AC (2 windows open at 60 mph). I'm doing it because I can and I want to do it before I can't, but I understand your concern.

My ultimate goal is to drive it to Michigan and cruise my old stomping grounds and visit family. But that's a 1600 mile round trip so that trip will require cooler weather and few nights lay over not to mention a azz load of gas money.

LMAO! I rented a box truck and threw 15 Marines in the back for a TJ road trip once, funny as hell, They were plastered even before we parked at the border! Drive at night, less traffic.

C'mon Devil Dog you know TJ is off limits!

-
Back