Towing with a dolly?

-
And don't decide to put the back tires on the dolly instead and strap the steering wheel to prevent it from turning. Fortunately, all it cost me was time in learning that lesson.

I rented one of the U-Haul car trailers to tow my Firebird 100 miles home. I rented it and a truck in the town where I bought the car, and the trailer was negligibly more expensive than the dolly and easy to use.

Yes, it's only $10 more for the full trailer...

I just take the driveshaft off the axle and bungee cord or coat hanger the front of it to the engine (so it can't pull out) and use a coat hanger and wire the back up to the muffler hanger bracket so it can't drop and never had a problem and no mess.

remove the driveshaft at the rear, tape the caps, wire it upsecurely. if you pull it, you will lose alot of tranny fluid.

make sure you lock the steering column with straps or clamps. wheels must be held straight. the dolly pivots under the front axle. im nbot sure what year column locks started.

stop and check straps after first 10 min. of driving. thats all it takes for the car to settle in on the dolly. then a check evey hour or so is good.

bring an air tank if possible, in case you need to air up tires.

make sure the lug nuts are tight on the towed vehicle,. i put the wheel caps in the car.

remember not to get in a situation where you have to back up. you cant back up a dolly rig. you can with a trailer.

ive done lots of miles. no worries if you prep right and know the limits

I see no one has answered the original question.
I only have the '75 to measure but the tale of the tape says 73" would give about 1" clearance on either side.
Hope it helps.

I see no one has answered the original question.
I only have the '75 to measure but the tale of the tape says 73" would give about 1" clearance on either side.
Hope it helps.

Here's what the OP asked in the original post:

Im looking for some advice towing my 71 auto trans dart almost 300 miles on a front wheel u haul dolly.

How bad of an idea is this? do I need to pull the drive shaft or do I dare just put the column shifter in neutral?

Thanks for all your thoights, idea's and advice.

Where did he ask about the width of the car?

Sorry about that, it was not the original question but was asked in Post #11 and in another thread.
Didn't mean to offend, it was just the question that was stuck in my head by the time I got to the end of the thread.

make sure you lock the steering column with straps or clamps. wheels must be held straight. the dolly pivots under the front axle. im nbot sure what year column locks started.
Dont need to do this. Once tires are strapped in, they wont turn. Front tires on dolly.

as I just mentioned in another thread - check your area laws - around here it is illegal to tow an unregistered vehicle with a two wheel dolly.. no tire of an unregistered vehicle may be on the road.

Dont need to do this. Once tires are strapped in, they wont turn. Front tires on dolly.

agreed; front tires only on the dolly.
disagree; even uhaul dolly instructs say "....sttering must be locked. if no lock, strap securely..." ALWAYS lock the front whhels. it eliminates 1 more degree of freedom in pivoting.

mike

Thanks folks.

Turns out Im working this weekend.

My Dart is regestered and a driver. Im jist leary about driving it 300 miles.

The trailer I have is a small single axle and has been modified for the Modle T drag car. im not sure the dart will clear the wheel stops that hit the big slicks. Thats why i needed the width.

I do have a steering lock.

Im thinking I will drive the Dart the first 75 or so miles down the grade then put the car on the trailer or dolly just so Im not towing down hill with no trailer brakes.

What ever I end up doing I will be careful as i love my car and would not want to loose it do to me me pulling some *** hat move...

Part of me just wants to top off the fluids and drive the car bit im afraid it to drive it that far...

Lets say I was gonna drive it 300 miles what should I be checking?
wheel bearing, tranny fluid heck all fluids, tire pressure, what.im I forgetting?

Pull the shaft. But remember, once the shaft is pulled, park doesn't work.

A lesson learned:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=113699

Had an oh-sh*t moment one time unloading a scout off my buddies car trailer.
The truck was 2wd sitting on a small hill, when the scout started over the end of the trailer, it lifted the rear of the truck up and... truck, trailer, scout took off down hill towards his dad's new camping trailer, he just bought it a week or so before.

We were lucky the truck jack knifed....
Truck: trashed the bed side
Scout: totaled
His dad's camper un-touched, thank God its the only reason I can type today.

Thanks folks.

My Dart is regestered and a driver. Im jist leary about driving it 300 miles.

Part of me just wants to top off the fluids and drive the car bit im afraid it to drive it that far...

Lets say I was gonna drive it 300 miles what should I be checking?
wheel bearing, tranny fluid heck all fluids, tire pressure, what.im I forgetting?

It's a driver? Then drive it!!!

300 miles isn't all that far. If you're already driving it daily I'd just check all the fluids and the tire pressure and let it rip. Be sure to have a spare gallon of water and a quart of oil in the trunk.

If it's something less than a daily driver I'd check the wheel bearings and brakes at both ends just to be sure, and double check the headlights, brake lights, turn signals, wipers etc. . I would also check the gear oil level in the rear axle, and take a look at the exhaust system. Small exhaust leaks are no big deal for short distances, but they can add up on long trips and sucking carbon monoxide for a few hours isn't a good idea.

I would also make up a tool kit if you don't already have one in the car. Basics are fine, wrench set, screwdrivers, pair of pliers or a leatherman or similar. Zip ties and duct tape (not kidding!). Harbor freight is great for that sort of thing. That way you can at least address minor issues should any come up. Also, not sure what kind of insurance you have on the car, but check to see what your coverage is for roadside assistance. I carry AAA on my cars for the exact reason that they'll tow me home in most situations.

Oh, where are you going? I see you're in Tahoe so obviously you need to pay attention to the weather for any kind of snow, otherwise you'll need to pack chains and things start getting complicated.

Unlike a trailer; it's very very hard, if not impossible to backup with a tow dolly and vehicle attached...........

Shes got new exhaust, new wheel bearings, all new brakes,lines and bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends...

It has been my only car for years, rain, snow or shine!! So im not afraid of driving her in the snow... I useto get a lot of looks pulling up to the pump in a blizzard or driving through chain control with no chains on.. (where my house is im allowed to pass chain control with out chains and chains are NEVER required in town, dam i wish all the tourists knew this...if you ever come to tahoe please.remove your chains in town...)

In Tahoe i never had to drive far and always had a work truck. I took a job in San Jose to be near my pops and I mis having the old girl around, plus Im tired of just working on his cars....

Shes got new exhaust, new wheel bearings, all new brakes,lines and bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends...

It has been my only car for years, rain, snow or shine!! So im not afraid of driving her in the snow... I useto get a lot of looks pulling up to the pump in a blizzard or driving through chain control with no chains on.. (where my house is im allowed to pass chain control with out chains and chains are NEVER required in town, dam i wish all the tourists knew this...if you ever come to tahoe please.remove your chains in town...)

In Tahoe i never had to drive far and always had a work truck. I took a job in San Jose to be near my pops and I mis having the old girl around, plus Im tired of just working on his cars....

So if it's a one way trip down to San Jose and you've been driving it with no issues, I'd just drive it. Check all the fluids, air up the tires, have tools and any spare parts you're worried about, but I'd just go. It's almost all downhill. ;) Don't push too hard on the freeway, not sure what your gearing looks like but keep the RPM's reasonable.

No chains may be ok in town, but you won't get past the CHP on the way out of town if chains are required over the pass. To be really technical, you're supposed to carry chains even if chain controls aren't in effect, and the CHP can turn you around (or cite you) in bad weather if you're not carrying chains, even if they aren't being required at that particular moment.

Im likeing the thought more and more it would save me a bunch of cash and be fun.

and yes in CA your required to carry chains above 6,000' even in summer.. and yeah i got a set in the dart jist never used them, except to get unstuck..

i got a sticker and a drivers licence that says the CHP can pound rocks about me passing chain control (most officers dont even know about the chain laws im refering to, been pulled over plenty for no chains on the pass (going home in a blizzard) ) just dont get caught over the pass with out.chains on... nor im I a idiot.. if its questionable i wont risk my car, my saftie or the saftie of others...

-
Back