Towing with an A body

-

DartConvertible

Reaction score
Hey-

so, nobody laugh: I have a 68 Dart convertible, 318 Torqueflite, HD suspension, 4 wheel drums and 14" rally wheels, and I'm curious about towing my small '64 Airstream with it. I read in a vintage '68 Dart catalog that with the tow package, the car would tow 2000#. In old Airstream literature, you see things like a 1960 Falcon towing one, and other older cars. My AS weighs 2700# and has electric brakes, and I'm wondering if there is any way to beef up capacity with disc brakes and a really large tow hitch, mounted to more of the car and extending further forward. I tow currently with a Ford Ranger long bed, 4.0 stick 4WD. The 160 hp engine is okay but not great, and the truck handles the trailer pretty well.

This is more to tow just around here, not more than 50mph but on the twisty coast highway and not on the interstate.

Thanks

Peter

I would definitely put some disk brakes on there first. Also, get a Predator 2 brake box to run the brakes on the camper. The hitch thing should be easy enough to figure out if you have some fab skills or a friend who does.

When pulling an 8.75 out of a parts Dart that had a tow package I notice It had an extra leaf spring on both sides and coil-over shocks! Not sure if this was dealer option or some kind of after market deal!

you might want to see if you can add some load lever bars to your trailer. I know guys that tow with them and sware by them. They say it makes it easier to tow with.

My 1970 Dart has a trailer hitch.....AND a 8.75 rear end, obviously a PO towed something with it.

DSC06551.jpg

My 65 Dart vert had a hitch on it when I got it. Load levelors make all the difference, don't like towing without them.

Hey-

I was told not to tow without an 8 3/4 rear end, but I'm trying to figure it out- I get the car back tomorrow and I can check then. The hitch I have on the AS does have sway bars, and it does make a huge difference towing. I was thinking that the disc brakes would be smart- we have lots of hills here. The drums aren't as scary as I thought they'd be tho...

thanks

Peter

My Dart 67 GT has trailer hitch dealer mounted in Sweden in 67 and i have HD brakes and suspension but only the 7 1/4 axel and its registred to tow 2800 because i dont have a trance cooler ,if i had that i can tow 3350

i`ll think its gone be perfect,unless you are going drag racing with it8)

1darten1.jpg

When I was a kid (relatively speaking) dad towed a 25' Starcraft travel trailer with a /6 powered '67 Valiant. The setup was a Reese equalizing hitch with a hydraulic brake controller, tranny oil cooler, and 3.91 gears in the 7 1/4" rear. No heavy duty springs, shocks, or brake upgrades. Towed for years with no problems and went where we wanted to. Don't get much hillier than West By God and one of our favorite trips was to Spruce Knob, the highest point in the state. The real key is the hitch, good trailer brakes, and deeper gearing. You should have no problems with your 318 Dart and Airstream trailer.

That works for me. The Airstream people were freaking out, that I wanted to tow my little trailer with something less than an F350. If the V6 Ford can do it, the 318 should have no problem. I think I'll get a tranny cooler tho.

thanks

Peter

-
Back