Toyota Comericals

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the toyota comericals and wondered about their claim of quality and saftey. For 50 years? I seem to remember when toyota's were death traps, and not all that long ago.

Now there saying that the gas pedal repair will fix the runaway throttle. But the US president of toyota testified that they don't know if it would or not.
Do you hear any consumer groups questioning those comericals? When the big three ceo's testified in Washington, they were the scum of the earth because they took their private jets. But toytoa gets a free pass.

Toyota, Moving forward! (But first we need to take three steps back and figure out what the hell is going on!)

Toyota will be asking for bailouts soon, this thing is going out of control fast and getting bigger everyday.

When I used to spent lots of time on some truck forums, everybody talked about Toyota being shitty and the King of Recalls,and this is BEFORE the gas pedal problem and everything. Not surprised

It didn't sound to good for Toyota today when the lady that testified she was driving her Lexus and it took off to 100 mph,nothing she did would stop the car including putting it in neutral and even reverse.Toyota buyers should'nt worry though the president of Toyota motors said the new models will be re-designed.LOL!!

Too little too late "toylete"..although the liberal commies in this country will still swear by them:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:

I am not denying there is one or more problems here, but every Toyota I have owned has run for at least a quarter of a million miles.

I am also skeptical about these reports of "runaway cars". Maybe I am being naive but there is this other pedal right next to the gas that will overpower any engine ever dropped in a street vehicle.

My two cents. -LY

I am not denying there is one or more problems here, but every Toyota I have owned has run for at least a quarter of a million miles.

I am also skeptical about these reports of "runaway cars". Maybe I am being naive but there is this other pedal right next to the gas that will overpower any engine ever dropped in a street vehicle.

My two cents. -LY

Not true on that pedal. The off-duty trooper whose family, including himself, were killed trying to stop a run away lexus. Eye witness reorts state the brakes were on fire as it went by them. When the engine is running at full throttle, there is no vacuum, if you hit the brakes a couple of times, you have no assist.

My two cents. -LY

There's also the key, which can be shut off without locking the column, and neutral, which I am skeptical of the lady who stated taking it out of gear didn't help, either.

FF

There's also the key, which can be shut off without locking the column, and neutral, which I am skeptical of the lady who stated taking it out of gear didn't help, either.

FF

Electric controled shifter. If the car is at full throttle, the ecm won't let it come out of gear, until it the engine rpm comes down. The newer models have a push button ignition switches, to kill the engine, you have to press & hold the button down for 3-seconds. 3-seconds @ 100MPH, you just covered 44 car lengths. I guess thats ok if no one is front of you.
It seems so easy to blame the drivers.

Electric controled shifter. If the car is at full throttle, the ecm won't let it come out of gear, until it the engine rpm comes down. The newer models have a push button ignition switches, to kill the engine, you have to press & hold the button down for 3-seconds. 3-seconds @ 100MPH, you just covered 44 car lengths. I guess thats ok if no one is front of you.
It seems so easy to blame the drivers.

And that's exactly what the US President of Toyota did yesterday, with the statement that when they design their cars they can't take into account how they'll be used. (How they'll be used? Think maybe they'll be driven?)Driver's error, according to him.

At the same time saying they don't know if the pedal replacement will fix it. Just like removing the mat didn't fix it.

It's all fine and dandy if you've owned Toyotas in the past. Good for you that you've gotten good mileage out of them. I've got a Ford minivan sitting here in the driveway with over a quarter million miles, too. My sister has a Chrysler minivan about to hit the two hundred thousand mark. That's not the idea.

Toyota has a history of covering up design and engineering flaws. They've lost a class action lawsuit in the past when internal memos were exposed that the brass was covering it up and blaming the customers. Their own history has set them up for this investigation.

It's easy for us, safely behind a computer keyboards, to second guess the people who have been put in the runaway cars. It's playing armchair quarterback. The truth is, Toyota has no idea what's going on with these cars. Blame the floormat! Uh oh, it's still going on. It's the pedal! Well, maybe. PCM? Don't know. Is it mechanical or electrical? From yesterday's testimony, they don't know. They've changed their story so much that now there's the element of doubt as to rather or not they even know what they're doing. All the time that, again, internal memos are showing that they looked at the floormats, originally, as a way to save money, not fix the problem.

I see people bemoaning Benz and how the corporation didn't give a s*** about how Chrysler treated it's customers. That the corporation stank for customer service and customer well-being, building "inferior" cars. How then, does Benz, and now Fiat, get looked at with such scrutiny, but corporate Toyota is let off the hook with a history of corporate malfeasance and cover ups? Because it gets good gas mileage? Because it's gone so many miles? I'm sorry, but the criticism Chrysler has gotten lately needs to be applied to a corporation who said it was the floormat so they could save money, not lives. Yeah, there's that great customer service.

I've been seeing these commercials here that boast that 90% of the Toyotas sold in Canada in the last twenty years are still on the road. I bet 90% of the cars they have sold here has been in the last eight to ten years.

i have heard that some car dealers wont even take toyotas in on trade right now. is this true?

THE VALUES ARE DROPPING, DEALERS ARE WAITING TO SEE WHERE THEY BOTTOM OUT AT & HOW MUCH DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE TO THEIR REPUTATION. A DEALER DOESN'T WANT TAKE A LOSS OR A CAR THAT WON'T SELL ON THEIR LOT.

Some say drivers should be able to stop those cars. If you have ever been behind the wheel of a runaway car, you know that its easier said than done. The first time it happened to me was in a 79 or 80 Firebird Formula. When I stomped on the gas, a plug wire got caught in the secondary linkage and wouldn't let it close. Car would not turn off, and it was almost a disaster. Thankfully, on that car I got it into nuetral and let it rev until I could coast into a parking lot.:angry7:
Happened again to me in a 68 or 69 (maybe 67...its been so long ago I don't remember the year for sure) Rambler Rebel with a 343 Typhoon. As it turns out, if you hammer the gas hard enough in those cars, one arm of the mechanical throttle linkage will flip over and there you go, all out. Luckily that was a 4speed car so it was easy to stop. In both cases, brakes would not slow the car down,or keep it at a steady speed. With both feet on the brake, both cars were still accelerating rapidly.
But the point is, if you have never been behind the wheel when that happens, and felt the panic as you see speed increasing uncontrollably with traffic coming up fast, then there is no way to make you realize how bad it is. I was lucky enough to at least be a car guy, so I could quickly figure out what to try. People who are not familiar with the mechanical aspects of vehicles are really going to have trouble surviving that situation.

You would think that these experiences would be enough to keep my foot off the floor wouldn't you?:poke:

I've been casually reading around about this issue for a little while and have stumbled across a few reports that are VERY disturbing.

In this article they are able to reproduce the error by shorting a couple of connections and inducing a wide open throttle without causing any codes on the ECM:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-...gn-flaw-causes-sudden-acceleration-video.html

This site has some symptoms that are completely unanswered by the "fixes" that Toyota has published. Specifically where the driver states that the pedal was "pulled to the floor". I'm no automotive engineer but I still say that no amount of binding in the pivot or floor mat would cause that to happen.
http://autocoverup.com

I also have not read ALL of the reports from toyota about the so called "causes" Nor have I found actual footage of gas pedal sticking "as it happens" or someone able to reproduce the problem at will with cameras rolling, so take it like everything else on the 'net ( with a healthy serving of skepticism based on the source )

Either way, they are digging out of a mighty deep hole...

I guess perhaps the japanese that own toyota, didnt think there ancestors killed enough americans with there Pearl Harbour attack, so they can off a few more with there deathtrap cars. LOL, I bet some of the people standing up for toyotas, had family to die in that conflict...........What a sorry country we have become............. SCREW TOYOTA!!!!!

The last post was a little out there my friend, but..

All carmakers have had their recall issues. My dad loves recalling the story of his 67 Galaxie 289 that the carburetor linkage locked wide open a couple of times. Each time he called his dealership, they had never heard of it. He finally got an appointment where they agreed to fix it under warranty. While talking to a young mechanic while dropping it off, the kid said "Yeah, we've been replacing lots of those".

The thing about Toyota, is that they have marketed themselves as being superior in quality over all of the American carmakers. Over the last number of years they have convinced both Toyota and many non-Toyota owners that their product is the best engineered, best assembled quality, and best resale value based on this. Now the veil is off. They are admitting that quality has suffered recently, and that their claims of being any better than any of the other companies are false.

They are simply being knocked of their self-proclaimed pedestal of perfectness, and joining the ranks of every other company.

Grant

I can't speak to all of the technical issues associated with some of the newer machines but Toyota, thus far, has been very good to me and I will continue to patronize their company.

Until and unless F.O.R.D comes out with something that runs as well and as long as my Saturn or its Toyota predecessors, they will be selling me my next car.

My two cents. -LY

I can't speak to all of the technical issues associated with some of the newer machines but Toyota, thus far, has been very good to me and I will continue to patronize their company.

Until and unless F.O.R.D comes out with something that runs as well and as long as my Saturn or its Toyota predecessors, they will be selling me my next car.

My two cents. -LY

I'm not a big Ford fan, not having worked for them like I have, but the Fusion is the only platform from them I would even consider for myself. Never really touched them except for routine maintanence. No big issues, no big hassles. In the meantime the F series and the Focus was still the bane of my existance.

Heres what I see happening-Toyota knows they are screwed (electronics) so they are stalling for time, groping for straws, scratching the bottom of the barrel, asking OUR goverment for help (GM bailouts) knowing full well they cant/refuse to repair 8.5 million cars (and counting) which would be an obsene amount of money. OUR goverment agrees to help out for a stake in their American operations (GM-goverment motors) and tell the public that these are goverment cars and that you cant sue the goverment because of your car being a death trap, so just be a good American and shut your pie hole. Pay for your own repairs and be happy, it will circulate more money into the economy.

This is just MY sarcastic vision of whats going down here.

10-4 ramenth, you will find me in a Volare before you find me in a freaking Focus. Right now the only car F.O.R.D. builds that I might want is some of their stangs.

I swear a go-cart I once had was made of better metal than those Focus deathtraps.

-LY

-
Back