TQuad Secondaries

-

Demonizer71

Reaction score
considering the throttle linkage, when should the secondary throttle blades start to open? At full throttle, or gradually when the primaries open? Mine dont open until the last part of the linkage pull? Is it ok to have them come in a little earlier? Whats optimum. Its a 340 with sinlge plane intake purple cam headers etc.

Generaly as a rule you should set it up so they open as soon as posible with out the car stumbling or bogging out. The only way I know to do that is to keep ajusting it till it hesitates or stumbles the tighten it up to the last setting.

D72;

The quick answer; gradually when the primaries open

The secondary blades open up when the primary blades are about 65% - 70% open. The linkage then starts to pull on the secondary butterflies.
Primary throttle operation by itself should be able to propel your car to about 60 mph, give or take, before the secondaries start to open up, with Hwy. gears.

You could adjust the linkage for a quicker opening of the secondary blades, but I do seriously and strongly advise against it. The way it is set up from Carter is the way you should leave it.

(BO70, that would be good for the air velocity door.)

The spring loaded air velocity door (As described by BO70 ) should be tightened by approx. 2-1/2 turns, starting from when the door is hanging down free without any tenstion from the spring.
This is a good starting point to test and is an easy adjustment to tinker with.

-
Back