trade my mopar for a pontiac??!!!

-
I driven a brother in laws 77 Trans am ws6 /6.6 ta auto(bro in laws wedding pres to my sis).Drove it after a tune up,a great drivers car,but I did not care for it.Had a 72Formula 400,(big cam ,11 to 1,headers)hauled ***.Great car,but not in love with it.Can you live with this car long term?

Guys I think I have to disagree with some of the prices that are being thrown around. Believe me I love 2nd generation Darts and Barracudas but there is some value to the later model Trans ams if they are the right optioned cars and 4 speeds usually always bring more. Someone said about 8K for a 78 Bandit Firebird with the 400 and a 4 speed. If the car is a low mile original or nice resto you tell me where there is one for 8K and I'll buy everyone around and sell them all and should have no problem just about doubling my money. What do you guys think?
x2 - most guys dont give this era of cars enough credit - they are increasing - look at T/A's, z'eds, aspen r/t, volare rr etc

All I'll say is this - I really miss the '74 TransAm 455 my ex took and trashed when we split up years ago. But when it came time to buy and build by choice of "toys" a few years ago, I chose my '69 Dart.
I'd do another '74 TransAm if I could, but personally I don't care for the TA's after 1974.

Before you do it, make sure the car has a MARTI report. If it doesn't, there's a resaon. That means somebody didn't think it was worth it....that would scare me, or somebody knew it wasn't real. They are nice cars. Just make DAMN sure it's real.

EDIT: The MARTI report is for Fords....Pontiac has an equivilant, but it's name escapes me at the moment. If the car is real, it should have one.

yea Im still not sure, The car has a bunch of paperwork with it. Im just not real big on the later 2nd gen f-bodies. If it was a 74 and down firebird I would probably do it. I posted my car on creigslist looking for a nice newer daily driver family car or crew cab truck, but I keep getting offers for older cars.
Another vehicle im considering is this
truck%20(640x480).jpg

Those cars are rattle traps. I realize the rare car situation and all that but those came from the factory came as rattle traps. The large doors start to sag and clank when they shut. I don't think I would but if that is what you want to do.

yea Im still not sure, The car has a bunch of paperwork with it. Im just not real big on the later 2nd gen f-bodies. If it was a 74 and down firebird I would probably do it. I posted my car on creigslist looking for a nice newer daily driver family car or crew cab truck, but I keep getting offers for older cars.
Another vehicle im considering is this

I think the truck is cool but with the headlights behind the grill, I wonder how night driving in an unlit area would be.

Those cars are rattle traps. I realize the rare car situation and all that but those came from the factory came as rattle traps. The large doors start to sag and clank when they shut. I don't think I would but if that is what you want to do.

Yeah that is right, why they were selling so cheaply when they were 7--9 years old

All car makers built the cars more cheaply in the late 70's, Mopar was still casting engine parts OK but Ford and GM had some problems. The block might be good but then it might not. The chrome was dirt cheap by Ford and GM, yeah no chrome bumpers on this car--still, I wounder what else is done cheap?

I hated how GM steering felt back then. So mussy, the faster you went the less control you seemed to have.

For sure I would take the car up to 85 mph and see how it feels--if it shakes frame could have issues

I think I am going to pass on the 78 macho. I would really like to find a nice B body. I need something that my familly can fit into, the barracuda is just too small.

I didnt plan on keeping either of the above vehicles, just doing some work to them and flipping them!

I think I am going to pass on the 78 macho. I would really like to find a nice B body. I need something that my familly can fit into, the barracuda is just too small.

I didnt plan on keeping either of the above vehicles, just doing some work to them and flipping them!

Buy a family driver and insure the Barracuda as a collector car. I pay $45.00 every six months for full coverage on my 69 Dart.

Get a late B body they are cheap to drive everyday.

The barracuda isnt a daily driver, just the kids and wife like to go cruising in the car. The problem is my 2 sons are freakin giants, they are 6"2 and 5"10 right now and still growing!!!!!!! lot more room in the back seat of a B body.

Okay, I know it's a 78, but I love this song by Sammy. The year's 79, it's the end of the road, if you want horsepower overload. My 6.6 is a little too heavy, for a big Boss Ford, or any f-ing Chevy!
[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3sbG8jlRp8"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3sbG8jlRp8[/ame]

Buy a family driver and insure the Barracuda as a collector car. I pay $45.00 every six months for full coverage on my 69 Dart.

Seriously? Hook me up...... :( i pay 70 a MONTH for insuring my pos ferd exploder, getting a 72 duster soon if all goes well. pm me =d

The barracuda isnt a daily driver, just the kids and wife like to go cruising in the car. The problem is my 2 sons are freakin giants, they are 6"2 and 5"10 right now and still growing!!!!!!! lot more room in the back seat of a B body.

Holy Crap! Shouldn't you be looking for something in the Duece and a Half range?

A guy was at the track last weekend with a 79 TA he bot as a kid. They were doing "drag radial" night and this guy ran a 5.64 1/8th with his on drag radials. Then again, it was just a little modified.

I'm sure Sammy Hagar trans am is kick butt, that cause Sammy put big money in to it and made everything better.

How old are the kids--why not take 2 cars out cruising

I'm sure Sammy Hagar trans am is kick butt, that cause Sammy put big money in to it and made everything better.

How old are the kids--why not take 2 cars out cruising

They are 16 and 12 and my youngest is 5! My oldest is looking to get a car pretty soon, he wants a dart to fix up, but havnt found anything he can afford.

Seriously? Hook me up...... :( i pay 70 a MONTH for insuring my pos ferd exploder, getting a 72 duster soon if all goes well. pm me =d

I have State Farm Mutual Insurance Company. The Dart is insured as a collector car with an agreed value. It can't be used as an everyday driver so a show and weekend car. Call your local State Farm agent and see what they can do for you. I have multiple policies and get a 40% discount on all the cars. I have a hospital income policy that is less than $4.00 a month that gets one of the 10% discounts. I have had the hospital income policy for over 30 years and it has always saved me more money in premiums than it cost so they loose money on it. Nice thing they can't increase the price as long as the policy is in force and I make no changes in it.

They are 16 and 12 and my youngest is 5! My oldest is looking to get a car pretty soon, he wants a dart to fix up, but havnt found anything he can afford.

You won't need as much room as soon as the 16 year old gets a car. He will always be on the go with his own car if he is like my kids at that age.

Good luck,I think you made the right desicion.Maybe a Belvedere,or a Sport Satellite?

I owned a low mileage 79 400 4speed ta. Loved the car fun car to drive. Owned it for 10 yrs but when my wife blew the doors off of the t/a in a new 93 mustang cobra (which I still own) I realized how heavy and underpowered the pontiac was. I sold it shortly afterwards.
I much would rather have a b-body or a-body than a pontiac.

-
Back