Trail and error (s) Still had fun at LVD

-

tom340

Reaction score
Well 1st time for me with the Duster on the dragstrip. Had a great experience, last time I really dragraced was back in the mid 1980's. I'll have plenty of questions for the experienced A body racers. I planned to do 3 runs (had an 88 mile drive BOTH directions) so didnt want to push my luck.
Run 1--air was nice and cool. I feathered the car off the line, left at @ 1800 RPM. No real traction problems but bad 60' (2.16) I screwed up at 1000' line, was so far ahead of the Fury that I was already planning on slowing the car down and completely let off the gas with another 320 ft to go. LOL-live and learn. Somehow I managed my best et for the day at 13.89 but only 99 MPH. A friend watching in the stands told my wife "tell him the painted barrier is the END of the 1/4 mi " . So I'm like damn, what if.....
Run 2-- almost a full hour later but still nice cool air. This time I was trying something different. Was able to line up against GeorgeR and his 340 Swinger. I left the line at 3500 RPM, nothing but wheelspin (using BGS 255 60-15 street tires). I got sideways, let off, got strait and mashed it back down. 60' time was dreadfull (2.62) But with the RPMs way up the car pulled really hard all the way. Kept my foot in it almost to Buffalo NY this time, despite all the wheelspin still managed a 14.0 but the MPH went up to 106. Obviously the car has potential at 106 mph. **My brothers advice the day B4 was to "brake stall as much as possible" as he says--and I quote--"theres no way a smallblock like mine will be able to break the tires loose at a dragstrip." end quote. ** So much for that, huh? Street tires suck. Wheelspin was SOOO bad my wife asked in the pits "why did you wait so long to leave the line, what the hell were you doing?? haha, me & George laughed like hell in the pit area.
Run 3-- Getting warm, started to get vapor lock pre-stage. Ughh, was dreading the worst. Lined up, this time I tried launching just over 2200 RPM and again had considerable wheelspin, but not out of control. Car felt really strong going down the track. <<I tried something NEW shfting the auto-trans from 2nd to 3...Hey why not just go strait to neutral?? >> Yep, all tence Im staring at the tach watching the RPM climb all of a sudden Im over 6500 and slowed way down. Yep , probably blew the best run of the day. My 60' was down to 2.13 ET down to 13.9 but lost my MPH down to 99.

Soo, how well do Drag Radials work vs. street tires?? What can I gain here. Also some specs on the car: Only using 3.55:1 (sure grip) No headers, using stock exhaust manifolds from '70 340.. Air cleaner is the factory unit, but how restrictive is it?? I dunno. Carb is only 650 cfm, works well on the street is responsive but car has never been chassis tuned. Used pump gas 93 octane, did not blend with 108. Timing advance only set at 30 deg. Did not play with timing in the pits. Stock 308 heads w/2.02 valves.. Bottom end stroked 375 c.i.

Bottom line it was a good day.. so no craziness. I almost never do a full pass my first run so dont feel bad. Tire spin is normal however I would suggest before you do tire shopping that you get the suspension wroked out, and then buy the tires... For instance.. where is the pinion snubber in relation to the floor pan? What leaf springs do you run? What torsion bars do you have? Does the car move right of left when you leave? What pressures are in the tires (front and rear)? Did you drive around the water and back in, or drive thru it? What is your pinion angle set to? Any vibrations at full throttle in the traps?
When it can hook decently on those tires, then get the stickies and you'll really be able to stick it. The MPH says it has mid 12s in it. I think that's possible with some debugging and practice.
I dont think the air c;eaner will make much difference, I'd leave it. The tuning you can probably find something but it sounds like you started off well enough.
Nice Job!

Super stock springs..not using a pinion snubber at this time as recommended by my brother (quote: "oh god, you dont need those things, beleive me.ha ha ha") ..factory 340 torsion bars as originally equipped..just installed new KYB's gas adjst all around Thursday. Also had car in front end shop for major overhaul and re-align. It feels so good on the road its like a whole differnt car. Steering wheel tracks strait, no pull to either side. Even in a burnout it no longer has tendency to get too far to one side.
I had tire pressure set at recommended psi for street use. Yep, I know, NFG for the track. Had to drive it home too. If I was changing tires in the pits I would play with that. Car felt solid as a rock all the way down the track-no vibrations. <Prior to front end work, it was a dangerous wreck-steering wheel was off center, and over a bump car would washboard. Front left wheel was SO out of balance car shook at 65 mph..but all that has been fixed>
If a snubber will help, It will get done. I noticed the car ran best leaving at 3500 rpm.. Cam is not stock-custom grind Ultradyne-which I do not have all the specs on. The wheelspin was extreme at this RPM, but not really terrible at my 2200 launch.
I appreciate any and all advice

There are a bunch of guys who dont use snubbers with SS springs. I personally do use them until I see a problem and I doubt your car makes enough steam for that. Dod you get any wheel hop?

Slicks maybe drag radials deffinately,advance your timing 4 to 6 degrees,pinion snubber yes!..you'll get those 60's down..:cheers:

A good friend of mine who is one of the best bracket racers in the country told me some years ago "who cares about 60 foot times when the win light is at the other end of the track?" I always thought it strange how tire spin will increase the MPH at the finish line, its kinda like getting a running start at it. Personally I never cared what my 60 ft times were as long as they were the same in either lane every time.

A good friend of mine who is one of the best bracket racers in the country told me some years ago "who cares about 60 foot times when the win light is at the other end of the track?" I always thought it strange how tire spin will increase the MPH at the finish line, its kinda like getting a running start at it. Personally I never cared what my 60 ft times were as long as they were the same in either lane every time.

Most races are won or lost in the first 60'..:-D

Well the snubber is cheap enuff, but to be honest at this point especially without the headers on (easily losing 50-60 HP off the 430 dyno HP ) and the stock '70 340 air cleaner assembly I dont think the crank power is twisting those springs just yet. Maybee with better traction.
Was fishing for some solid 1/4 mi time reductions when switching from street radials to a DRAG radial. From experience, would anyone say I could drop maybee another 3/10th, maybee 4/10th?? I plan to swap out the 3.55 for 4.10 this winter anyhow. That should be good for at least .4 right there, but will make it more difficult obviously to gain traction.
I wish I had another 3-4 more runs to play around with my launch technique..Im pretty confident I had a 13.5 on my street BFG.s in it Saturday.

Slicks maybe drag radials deffinately,advance your timing 4 to 6 degrees,pinion snubber yes!..you'll get those 60's down..:cheers:
Timing: something else I wanted to go over!! Dont have a good timing light, didnt want to adjust the timing that high on pump gas.. still had to drive 160+ miles round trip.. But considered blending a few gallons 108 and bumping the timing..
Unfortunately didnt trailer the car there, drove the 88 miles each way and make 3 passes with a trunk full of stuff <lawn chairs-spare tire-jack and lugwrench-bag full of goodies and a tool roll> Just didnt have anyplace to leave it. Next time might at least go with a 2nd vehicle to stow away stuff and bring some drag radials :)

Why are you running mixed fuels? Refresh me on the build if you dont mind. You are a little off on the gearing change. It does mutiply the torque to the tires, but more importantly it lets the vehicle catch up to the spinning tires faster... So over all, you will be quicker. Generally 1 tenth on the 60 equals 3/10s at the finish. So if you can go a 1.90 60' you should be quicker than 13.50. More important is the mph. 106 is no slouch. It's got 12s in it if you get it all working perfectly.

Why are you running mixed fuels? Refresh me on the build if you dont mind. You are a little off on the gearing change. It does mutiply the torque to the tires, but more importantly it lets the vehicle catch up to the spinning tires faster... So over all, you will be quicker. Generally 1 tenth on the 60 equals 3/10s at the finish. So if you can go a 1.90 60' you should be quicker than 13.50. More important is the mph. 106 is no slouch. It's got 12s in it if you get it all working perfectly.

Not using mixed fuels, only 93 octane pump gas. Was considering while the tank was low at the track to add a few gallons of 108..next time that is, and bumping the timing up. I know quite a few guys with high comp. street cars who "blend" race fuel with pump gas.
Since the car isnt a "race car" its not really tuned like a race car.
The motor is a stroked 340 and built by an experienced builder. "Mopar Mike" we call him. I have exactly 375ci, 10.1:1 comp. Performer RPM intake, Edelbrock Thunder 650 carb, custom grind UltraDyne hyd cam which Mike still has the cam specs. Heads are stock 308's w/ 2.02's (for now-heading out for full porting this winter) . Also using Comp roller rockers, and TTI exhaust/H-pipe and Dynomax mufflers. On the dyno run, it made 411 TQ already at 2900RPM, and peaked at 4000-4100 @ 450. HP peaked at just under 430 from 5500-5700.
<Nothing crazy..had a limited budged and I had to forget about the TTI headers , head porting and the hyd. roller cam for a year or two.>
Chose the 3.55 gear 'cause the plan was to be driving the car 300 miles each way to Carlisle every year. That plans been ditched, 4.10s are much more fun.
Used to run 4.56:1 in my big block Challenger years ago. When matched with the right cam that car was fast. Duster is so much lighter.
Thanks for the rule of thumb on the 60' times. That was a mystery to me on what an improved 60' time would do to the ET. This is why I refer to the "experts" here in racers forum and not in General :)

-
Back