Trailer "Flip-Up Side" LIFT....Ideas ??

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys.......

I just finished welding up a 16 X 7 (8' Ceiling) enclosed trailer with a flip-up side panel, appx. 130" X 48".....steel framed unit, aluminum skin.....

I opted for a flip up to double as a protective awning since I'll be using this in Florida for special events (I had thought about a flip down, stage style....BUT, no go....).

I can lift the door manually with one arm, so it ain't a battleship.....But I'd much rather install some sort of power lifts on each side, maybe rams, not sure...... The 2 sides would need to be synchronized as they lift to be safe.....

I've gone over this in my head a thousand times, but try to find something that will actually work and it fries my brain.......... I haven't been able to come up with a single working unit (rams, hinge type, etc) to match my thoughts or needs.........

Anyone have an idea? I'm thinking of something similar to an assist cylinder (like on trunks & such), but much heavier duty, and POWERED.....12 volt electric, or electric/hydraulic, etc.......

I'll post some pics here in a bit to give you a better idea of what I'm up against......at the VERY LEAST, I'd want a VERY heavy duty cylinder assist on each side to save my BACKbone................

Consider designing a bellcrank-cable-pully system power by a cheap atv winch.

Not sure what you're thinking on that pulley system.........

Here's some pics of what I have........

Attachments

• 120_2038.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 120_2039.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 120_2040.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 297
We use quite a few Bimba long stroke air cylinders at work to assist women open and close doors on machines for cleaning. I see what would work, but it's hard to explain.

The motor in a power lift chair is rated for 24 volts but it has a fair amount of power at 12v. If you find a lift chair being tossed grab the lift motor and drive rail assembly, the hand set and the connection to the power supply. They actually use a 9v battery for a backupin case the power goes out, it will lift the chair once or twice if someone is in it so 12v should work for you.

-
Back