Trailer tires or LT truck tires for car hauler

-
I have been all over the country with different kinds of trailers, most of them ratty. Have been pulled over several time for different things, NEVER had anyone say, "You have the wrong kind of tire on you trailer." IMO, saying a law enforcement officer would say something is just stupid.

Well, then good for you. Got customer who does long haul moving for snowbirds. With a DOT number. Guess who gets pulled over for inspections? Got commercial plates on your truck in New York, with or without a DOT number a trailer inspection is coming. Ask me how I know, wiseass. Been there, done that, and had customers coming in the door ordering ST's when they're looking at fines for not having trailer tires.

But, since "you've been all over the place..."

Just like DOT here in NY will scale a pick up/trailer combo and check against registered weight of both.

Well EVERY truck in California has commercial plates. every toyota, ford... every truck. had a 40 ft pull trailer, not fifth wheel, with michelin x tires. got tagged for electric brake problem, but nothing said about the wrong tires. I still think it is a non issue. And unless im mistaken pickups dont have to go through scales. Like I said ALL over the country never pulled in a scale with one ton truck with CA plates. pulling Carnival equipment, talk about a red flag! Just bought a 35ft fifthwheel last year came with LT 10 ply rated tires.

I have been all over the country with different kinds of trailers, most of them ratty. Have been pulled over several time for different things, NEVER had anyone say, "You have the wrong kind of tire on you trailer." IMO, saying a law enforcement officer would say something is just stupid.

Not really, ever hear of the DOT?

They will especially target trailers with a car on it, they WILL check lighting, breakaway system, tires, and ESPECIALLY the straps used. Straps MUST meet DOT guidelines. There is a tag that IS required to be on all of the straps.

I travel all over the country and I see guys with cars on trailers pulled over very often, especially here in Michigan, they are very strict about the conditions.

Whatever, cops around you must be bored to care about what type of tires you are using. I just read the Ca DMV laws regarding types of tires to be used. NOTHING about trailer tires being used. Check yourself.

Well EVERY truck in California has commercial plates. every toyota, ford... every truck. had a 40 ft pull trailer, not fifth wheel, with michelin x tires. got tagged for electric brake problem, but nothing said about the wrong tires. I still think it is a non issue. And unless im mistaken pickups dont have to go through scales. Like I said ALL over the country never pulled in a scale with one ton truck with CA plates. pulling Carnival equipment, talk about a red flag! Just bought a 35ft fifthwheel last year came with LT 10 ply rated tires.

That depends on the state you are in. I don't recall which ones, but there are several states that require you to pull through the scales (BIG sign as you are approaching) if you are towing a trailer, some also require buses to do the same.

No need to be a commercial vehicle for DOT laws to apply.

I got pulled over one time by the DOT for having a ladder in the back of my truck. They don't know if you're commercial or not, lol. So they check to see, if you are, that you have things in order.

DOT officers are generally more well versed in whats legal and have more authority than your general issue trooper. They have the authority to tow you off the highway if deemed unsafe. Ive been pulled a few times. A whole lot easier to just be in compliance for whatever state your running through as they are all different I run trailer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

Some key excerpts...
"Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications."

Then...
"Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load."

So if you want to tow over 65 mph you need an LT tire or the Goodyear Marathon or Towmax STR tires.
I wouldn't use P series tires, why would you they cost more then basic ST tires? Money no object I'd use LT tires but they don't even make them in the size I need for my camper so I use radial ST tires.

-
Back