Trailer Tires

-

Darter6

Reaction score
Anybody having any luck with trailer tires ?I need to replace mine. This is my 2nd set in 4 years.215-75R-15.Just had one seperate and peel the tread off like a re-cap.My guess-ta-met is they have less that 30K miles on them.I even cover them when the trailer is parked.The first set that came new on the trailer seperated within the first year.:wack:Any good brand known ?

I bought a new elcosed & the factory tires came apart the second season of using it.
We never leave the shop until the air pressure is correct.
I replaced them with a set of cheap trailer tires from a vendor of mine.
They are branded (gladiator) 225-75-15.
Paid 400 for all 4, mounted & balanced.

They are a 10ply trailer only tire.
Now have two sesons on them & they look great, no wheather cracks at all.

I also have a set of these on my open trailer, same results.

The best thing I ever did was pitch the 15 inch rims for 16's and get a set of 10ply toyo HT's. That was 8years ago and I haven't had any trouble since.

My trailer weighs @ 8500lbs with the car inside. I also keep the tires at pressure and covered 100% when it's not being towed.

Yea, I'm anal about air pressure too.I was thinking of the 16's as you did. The rims are 6 lug. Any idea what to look for? Thanks to the both of you for your replies.

Yea, I'm anal about air pressure too.I was thinking of the 16's as you did. The rims are 6 lug. Any idea what to look for? Thanks to the both of you for your replies.

EBay, a friend got a great deal through a vendor there. He has an equipment trailer that's had around 20k of stuff loaded on it many times

The only thing to watch out for is Chinese internet crap. Go to BigO or Les Schwab. 5 tires and wheels 1200 to 1800 and no more problems.

most the guys I know are dumping the 15inch and going with 16inch , and a 235/80/16 tire . we were at st.Louis this weekend one guy bought a new trailer this year, less than 3000 miles tires were gone they were made in china

Our Cargo Mate trailer was equipped with 16" tires. E rated, 10 ply max load 3640 single max psi 95 cold. These chinese tires lasted 4 years and I was thinking it was time to change, but we "tried" one more trip from AZ to Sodak which ended up losing one about 200 miles from home on the return trip. I feel one of the reasons the tires lived is that the trailer was my dads and spent it's whole life in SoDak. I'm betting now that it is in the desert that I'll be putting new tires on it every two years just like I did with the 15's on my old Haulmark (goodyear, carlisle, maxis, D rated, E rated.... been there, destroyed that). One thing about 16" tires.... you can get a "G" rated tire which is a 14 ply, 110psi.... but you need wheels that are rated for this load and psi. Our steel wheels are not, but I wasn't too excited about dropping that much coin on tires that will most likely need thrown out in two years due to the extreme heat in which I live. Trailer sits outside, double covered tires.... hard game to play sometimes.

Had Goodyear Marathons on all 3 of the trailers I've owned. Had a flat once! Burned the fenders of the open trailer because, the 225-15's are too tall. Seem to be the best trailer tires in the world to me!

I think I'll try the 16'' and load range "E".I have a 225-75-16 tire to test.Running 215-75-15 "E" now. E-Trailer carries several different rims in the $50-$100 range.Plan is to get 1 rim and mount tire to check for clearance. Being from Nevada I do know that dry and heat plays a big part in the destruction of tires.

my tires are ST 235/85/r16..... and to be honest the next set I'm trying are E rated pickup tires.... unless of course I feel like torturing myself over a set of those G rated tires and wheels. One other thing.... with the 16" tires generally the axles are higher for clearance and you may end up having to reconfigure your ramp door due to the increased height.... just throwing that out there. Our trailer has an extended ramp on it that folds out so the load angle isn't too sharp.

I had issues with a variety of brands of Load Range D 15" tires on a heavy open trailer I had. I'd never use them on an enclosed trailer. But simple age of any tire, even if kept out of the elements, will kill it. I had a brand new 16" Load Range E tire that was kept indoors for about 6 years. When I did finally use it, the tread peeled like a banana at the steel cords after less than 2,000 miles! Luckily it held air for several miles until I was able to find a safe place to change it.

There is a way to read the manufacturing date on all tires. I just don't have that handy at the moment. It wouldn't hurt to check just purchased tires either!

I rep tires for a company in pa. I have sold, good year, west lake, carlisle, hercules and many chinese brands. The best tire I rep is the hercules. Get the 10 ply and I think you will be happy. FYI, the hercules are made by good year in their china plant! As mentioned in many of the above posts trailer tires need to be checked for the proper air pressure. The heat build up in a trailer tire is its worst enemy. Best of luck with your tire choice.
Rod

Thanks rod, the last tires I purchased were ST 215/75/15 10 ply made in china by the Green Ball corp.At the time 3 years ago I was told they were the best on the market with a low failure rate. I will check to see if Hercules can be found out here.I still think I will try the 16'' wheel to see if they fit ok..
Loco, Yes I have the info at the shop on how to read the tire dates. I just bought 2 car tires from Discount tire and although new had a date of 2011 and the other 2013. The tire store manager didn't even know they had dates on them. I took them anyway as they were the only 2 in the area.

I want to thank you all for the responces. Gives me a lot to think about. I'm Not planning to use the trailer till next season and will give me plenty of time to make a change. Again thanks to all.

-
Back