Trailers - Towing your mopar?

-
Check the original center tube wall thickness... 3/8" is THICK. Maybe 3/16"??? Make the added tube no thicker wall than the original.

If I understand what you are saying, yes, the gussets from the next cross-member can 'reach down' to weld to the added tube, since this added should only be taking vertical loads. The diagonals up front should take the side loads on the tongue.

Well I’ve moved along while waiting for steel to come in. I’m waiting on a buddy to get me a 9’ 2.5x2.5 square tube.

Since I can’t wair much more I need to get the trailer out as the Duster comes home soon. I’ve cleaned it up, added new wiring, new fenders, new lights, new trailer jack and began painting it.

I still ramps, straps and some metal...

Riddler

33FC0EFC-B1BA-4563-BCC8-C7305A67883F.jpeg

60BAD667-B960-4784-A433-F9EDD85F404F.jpeg

2627FE2B-4346-4FBF-9C8F-3CE48BF756E4.jpeg

Movin' along! Mine has gone through some metal-surgery over the years to improve it, so home-made trailers can be a work-in-progress.

It sounds crazy but I found some 16" or 18" wide laminated beam material left over from a construction site and have used that for ramps for 20 years. Water proofed it and they have taken 3300+lb cars many times. Finding an easy way to stow the ramps securely while in transit takes some thought, but if you use the trailer a lot, the effort will pay off.

I started to add attachment points to the frame. Here's the first on the rear. Plan is to have 2 front and 2 back. Maybe more?

Driver's fender is welded on and I made it removable.

Still have quite a bit more to do. I want to add brakes to one of these 3500lb Dexter axles. They already have the backing plates.

Riddler

View attachment 1715092803

View attachment 1715092804

View attachment 1715092805
No bagging on ya, but the welds on the tie down don't look like you have penetration. Cold and dirty looking. Not sure I'd trust them.

No bagging on ya, but the welds on the tie down don't look like you have penetration. Cold and dirty looking. Not sure I'd trust them.

There welded on strong as far as I can tell. I've had a few guys look at them and all have said they don't see any issues. I do admit I turned up the welder after I did the first one and also re-welded that one.

Riddler

There welded on strong as far as I can tell. I've had a few guys look at them and all have said they don't see any issues. I do admit I turned up the welder after I did the first one and also re-welded that one.

Riddler
good deal!

-
Back