Tranny and gear swap

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Almost done. 3.23s are out and the 3.91s are in. It went so quick I figured I'd pull the 727 out and get the 904 under the car. That went so quick I igured I'd bolt the 904 up. Its in the home stretch. Just have a few things left to bolt up and I still need to pick up the driveshaft. Should be back on the road by Saturday ! :headbang:

Cool....I've noticed in your sig pic that you have a hard time looking into the engine compartment though!

73roadrunner said:
Cool....I've noticed in your sig pic that you have a hard time looking into the engine compartment though!

Yeah, but those small hands make it easy to get in to tight places.

AdamR said:
Almost done. 3.23s are out and the 3.91s are in. It went so quick I figured I'd pull the 727 out and get the 904 under the car. That went so quick I igured I'd bolt the 904 up. Its in the home stretch. Just have a few things left to bolt up and I still need to pick up the driveshaft. Should be back on the road by Saturday ! :headbang:
Go get the driveshaft!
Good job Adam, can't wait to see that thing run.

I have to work Sunday and there's no T&T that weekend(go figure) so I should be there Saturday for a little racing.
I'm also going to do a mad thrash tonight and rebuild the carb. I turned on the fuel pump last night, to set the float, and the carb starts seeping fuel.

Im still having carb problems too. I think I'm going to rey the other 650 I have boxed up.

THEWHITEZOMBIE said:
Adam can i ask why u put the 904 in over the 727?
MIKE

Sure, It takes about 30 horse power less to spin a 904 over the 727. Thats 3 tenths in the 1/4. This trans also has a lower 2.77:1 first gear for better 60ft times. They are also smaller so they weigh a little less.

This transmission isnt a stock 904 though. It has 5 clutched up front, Bolt in sprag, the low gear set and a T/A valve body. I also got a 8" T/A converter with it.

Craig, I dont remember the guys name. I bought the tranny off of Rory's wifes cousin. It was in his mid 10 second Duster. It was built using all Turbo Action parts by a local guy that built a lot of the areas Stock and Super Stock transmissions. He said he has over $3000 in the trans. I believe it, The converter is over $900 alone.

Those converters can get expensive. When I priced out a spare like the one I have I was quoted $995. I also noticed you posted about the 7260-7290 conversion u-joints, are you going to use those behind the 904? They do make a 7290 slip yoke for the 904. If you have a hard time locating one, I have a spare still in the box.

I need one to go from the rear of the drive shaft to my rear housing. Other wise I would have needed to find a large joint drive shaft for a 904. Not and easy thing to find.

Picked up the drive shaft and slip yoke today.

AdamR...

What kind of power are you making in that thing? I'm trying to figure out how I need to build my 904 to stand up to my little 360.

Right now Im probably only making about 325-350 at the crank. This trans is way overkill and so is the caonverter. I'm hoping the converter wont be to loose. If it is I'll probably just switch to a Mopar Performance 175K for now.

It should be perfect for a 450 horse motor.

Well my 904 has withstood my W5 head 360. Supposedly (and I aint saying it's even remotely accurate) the engine calculator programs put my engines horsepower number around 560.

Your car is flying. Good to hear of a Mopar short block running so well.
This tranny has seen its share of 10 second passes and 7000 plus rpm shifts.

NICE:supz:

904 should last forever behind my motor!!!
Of course, it will be built "right"... :)

Finally back together ! what a differance. It pulls real hard and stuff you in to the seat nicely. This is by far the nicest shifting tranny I've ever had also.

The ET Street radials still seem to hook great too.

-
Back