tranny filings

-

wireweld

Reaction score
I changed the lube in my 904 and when I took the pan off, there was filings on the bottom. It looked like a silver grit and was kinda gooey, I believe that is because of the oil. There was about a 1/2 cup of this stuff. Is this normal or what is the matter? It also stuck to the magnet in the pan.

I changed the lube in my 904 and when I took the pan off, there was filings on the bottom. It looked like a silver grit and was kinda gooey, I believe that is because of the oil. There was about a 1/2 cup of this stuff. Is this normal or what is the matter? It also stuck to the magnet in the pan.

No, that much is not normal. I have seen some with a little bit that were ok. The fluid kinda says you have wear problems inside. Should be red and not smell burnt.

Sounds like the fluid has not been changed in a long while.Usally there is some metal shavings in there and I have seen the gooey stuff your talking about.I guess change the fluid and see what happens.I have changed the fluid when it has been like this and the tranny was OK.Tranny worked alot better after the fluid change.If you drive it and it starts slipping between gears it is on its last leg..
Jim

The gooey stuff is generally clutch disc/band lining material. To have that much in a 1 yr. old 3000 mile trans. is not good at all. Do you have the throttle pressure linkage hooked up and working properly? Does it have a shift kit in it? If so what brand kit?

One more question. When you had the trans done a year ago did they flush the cooler and torque converter? If not that may be where some or most of the garbage came from.

new cooler and tq, tf-2 and buchillion performance kickdown and I think it is working properly. How can I tell?

new cooler and tq, tf-2 and buchillion performance kickdown and I think it is working properly. How can I tell?

You should know if it's working properly if it engages into gear quickly and shifts correctly, such as shifting at the correct speed, kickdown feature working properly, no harsh low speed shifts. The TF-2 kit is an excellent kit and generally fixes all the short comings of the torqueflite without any side effects. Are you still using the existing trans. cooler built into the radiator? If not how big is the external cooler?

3000 miles thats not good.A little shavings OK but the gooey stuff in a new trans. no. Jim

-
Back