Tranny mount replacement-Where did I go wrong?

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
'74 Dart, 225 /6, A904. Replaced tranny mount yesterday and what should have been a 45 minute job wound up a 2-1/2 hour ordeal. Started by jacking up the tail of the tranny slightly to relieve the weight off of the mount. Removed the nut from the through bolt and started tapping the bolt out. Configuration of the x/m would not allow the bolt to come all the way out. The head of the bolt hit the x/m once it got past the recessed area. Went ahead and removed the bolts to the base of the tranny and was able to "****" it enough to get the bolt out. Dropped the old mount and slid the new mount up into place. Leaned it the same way I got the bolt out of the old one and started the bolt through the new one. Got the bolt far enough in to lean the mount back down to slide the bolt through the other side but it would not go through. Lined up the hole on the other side and started tapping the bolt head, it would not go through the bracket but I could see the end of the bolt through the hole. There's a smaller diameter shoulder on the end of the bolt and it just barely poked through the hole in the bracket, about half the metal thickness. Continue tapping but could not the bolt to go through any further. Then tried to tap it back out with a punch but it would not come out either. Wound up taking the bolted in section of the x/m out and took it to my workbench. The bolt would not move any further, either direction, no matter how much I beat. Wound up cutting the bolt off, drilling through the bolt, and driving it out from the small end. Tried to run a 1/2" drill bit through the mount but the hole was too small so I stopped before I barely got started. Obviously it was smaller than 1/2" but larger than a 3/8". Is that a 7/16" diameter bolt? Why wouldn't the original bolt go through? Are there different diameter bolts depending on model? Found a long enough, 3/8" diameter, bolt and got it all put back together after 2-1/2 hours and lots of frustration. It's just a hair too small and tightened up well. Where did I go wrong?

From looking behind the transmission, the bolt goes in from the left to the right so it yours was going in from the right that is the problem.

Mine had the bolt going in from the passenger side with the nut on the driver's side. Gotta love them PO's!

-
Back