Tranny oil pan issues....

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
I get the feeling she just doesn't want to be restored.......
So.... Dropped the pan to change the gasket hoping to stop my fluid leak. Changed the filter while I was at it. Was surprised how great things looked when I removed the pan. All went easy, got the pan bolted back up with the new gasket, hand tightened all the bolts, began to torque them to spec and two bolts just spun, wouldn't tighten down. Swapped them out with adjoining bolts and they tightened right up in the holes next to them. Bolts from adjoining swap had the same issue in the original holes, they wouldn't tighten so it looks to be housing thread problems. Seriously? How do the threads in the housing go bad? And what the heck can I do to fix? Seriously frustrated and any help is, as always, appreciated.

How do the threads in the housing go bad?

somebody tightened the **** out of them, probably cause it leaked and ended up striping them out. did you flaten out all the holes in the pan before reassembling it?

I usually go next up oversize. Havent come across it in a while, but installing any trans pan with power tools will do it. I use nut driver and thats usually pretty close. My 1/4” air ratchet pulls hard enough to strip them.

somebody tightened the **** out of them, probably cause it leaked and ended up striping them out. did you flaten out all the holes in the pan before reassembling it?
They weren't mushroomed up at all, cleaning pad ran smooth over them while I was cleaning old gasket junk off. Makes sense about someone over tightening in the past.

Not that big a deal. Buy a Heli-coil kit 5/16" 18.
Never done that but will give it a shot, ought to be fun doing that while laying under the car!
Drill out with bit same size as bolt or one larger? Again, never had to fix a thread before, guess I've been lucky.

I have 1 bolt stripped hole on my 727. I ran a longer bolt with a washer and nut on the top side. Not ideal, but did the trick.

Pat

I do not torque those bolts to spec. It seems like I always have to straighten the pan sealing surface with a hammer. I tighten the bolts by "feel"with 1/4" drive hand ratchet to reduce the chance of overtightening them. Lightly tighten them all first, then gradually bring them up snug. If it doesn't "feel right", stop.

The tap in the kit tells you what size bit to use.
Ok, grabbed the 5/16-18 kit suggested, tap says use a 21/64 bit to drill out the threads. Bolts on the pan are 1/2", just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I do any drilling?

Ok, grabbed the 5/16-18 kit suggested, tap says use a 21/64 bit to drill out the threads. Bolts on the pan are 1/2", just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I do any drilling?
The bolts are NOT 1/2 inch
The heads are,but the threads are 5/16-18 as already stated.
Make sure you use the indicated size drillbit, and do not let the drill "waller" out the hole.

The bolts are NOT 1/2 inch
The heads are,but the threads are 5/16-18 as already stated.
Make sure you use the indicated size drillbit, and do not let the drill "waller" out the hole.
That's why I was checking, I'm learning on the fly!
Thanks AJ.

Update: holes re-threaded and bolts tightened on the new threads great!
Much thanks to all of you, especially SGB for the tool recommendation. I learned a new skill and it's bound to come in handy in the future with this car. To my mind this is exactly what this Forum is for, keeping the experts sharp and helping the inexperienced (like me) to learn.
Thank you again. Very much appreciated!

Update: holes re-threaded and bolts tightened on the new threads great!
Much thanks to all of you, especially SGB for the tool recommendation. I learned a new skill and it's bound to come in handy in the future with this car. To my mind this is exactly what this Forum is for, keeping the experts sharp and helping the inexperienced (like me) to learn.
Thank you again. Very much appreciated!
Forgot a few pics. Working upside down was a challenge!

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

-
Back