tranny pan leaking

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
My tranny pan on my 727 wont stop leaking i have check the bolts and tight it has been rebuit about 6 months ago. What should i do to keep it form leakin. The gasket is a reuseable gasket to.

First make darn sure it's the pan leaking as dip stick tubes 'O' ring and /or selecter shaft seal can fool you.
If you do pull the pan back off dont be afraid to take a hammer to it. Where it was over tightened the ball pien will dimple the bolt holes back outward then whatever it takes to make sealing surface lay flat on a table like surface.
Reusable gaskets aren't so reusable if it has been over tightened. Don't see the need for that myself. Aint like I'm going back in frequently.

The tranny is leaking on my 999 in my Jeep. I found it is leaking out of the dipstick tube, creeping along the gasket, so it looks like the gasket is leaking. So I changed the o ring, still leaks. :(

Even if it was rebuilt only six months ago if they used a cork gasket that may be the problem i have yet to get a cork gasket that didnt leak after only a few months. I have had great luck with atp gaskets i have so far only found them at napa. They are a black rubber type gasket no need to retighten and they have never leaked on me yet. Good Luck Justin

Both the o ring on the dip stick tube, and the selector seal can look like the pan is leaking. Here's the seal, got it for $5 at the local trans shop. Put one in whenever you pull the valve body.

gear selector seal 001.jpg

gear selector seal 002.jpg

-
Back