Tranny shifts early

-

BWDart

Reaction score
I have an a-500 in my Dart, it sat for almost 6 yrs after rebuild, it shifts early as in 3rd gear by 20 mph it also won't kick down at any speed I removed oem linkage and installed lokar cable no change also the lever on trans is at halfway with throttle closed will only go back if pushed is the problem in the valve body or somewhere else inside?
Thanks
Bruce

All of them shift early, especially behind power. 3rd by 20mph is normal. This is why I have a ratchet shifter for my 42RH. Unless you want to pull it and mess with the govenor weights. (good luck)

Set-up the lokar so it is at FULL pull with 1/16" cable gap at the clip for the linkage at WOT and walk away. I have a spring to return the arm on the transmission for fun.

You can get different governor weights, and that is the easiest and least expensive way to solve that.
Or if you are up to it you can do it at home yourself.

Attachments

• GovernorMod.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 240
What about no kickdown thats not normal

It could come back with the governor mods because the lighter governor valves will react earlier to a kickdown event.

It will shift later, and kickdown easier.

Got to adjust your cable right first... if it's loose there will be no kickdown.. I've got to bury my foot in it when it's adjusted right..

Got to adjust your cable right first... if it's loose there will be no kickdown.. I've got to bury my foot in it when it's adjusted right..

Of course, the cable first.

With a part throttle kickdown kit I don't have to stick it to the floor. :D
That annoyed me so much I had to do something about it, so now I get kickdown with about 2/3 throttle if under 50mph.

At 30 it kicks down from 3 to 2 with just a light touch of the throttle.

Love it

full throttle should be full pull/push of kickdown, wherever it ends up after that is adjusted. no kickdown lever and youll be in 3rd before you pass the crosswalk.

^Part throttle is on ALL transmissions 71' on. Including yours.. 2/3 throttle sounds about right. Adjust the cable bro...

If you aren't up for lightening your own governor weights, A&A transmission sells performance governors for various RPM. A year ago I had my 904 rebuilt and the kickdown just couldn't be adjusted to work correctly. Turns out the guy that did the trans put a governor in from a big truck or a fleet vehicle (taxi?). Changed the governor, adjusted the linkage and all is good!

Thanks for all the help guys got ahold of the guy who rebuilt tranny he's gonna look at.

Trailbeast where did u get the part throttle kit?

Got it from Pat Blais (Torqueflite Patty) on his Ebay store.

^Part throttle is on ALL transmissions 71' on. Including yours.. 2/3 throttle sounds about right. Adjust the cable bro...

Mine is a 73 and it didn't have it.
Probably got swapped for an older valve body at some point in it's life.
Point is, you have to do a visual on the VB to know for sure.

If you aren't up for lightening your own governor weights, A&A transmission sells performance governors for various RPM. A year ago I had my 904 rebuilt and the kickdown just couldn't be adjusted to work correctly. Turns out the guy that did the trans put a governor in from a big truck or a fleet vehicle (taxi?). Changed the governor, adjusted the linkage and all is good!

Thanks, I couldn't remember who had them.

Well, better early than late. Otherwise they end up winning a gold medal for the decathlon and later change their name to Caitlyn. Really knots up the whole record keeping thing, and just plain confuses the children. Think of the kids, bro.

Mine is a 73 and it didn't have it.
Probably got swapped for an older valve body at some point in it's life.
Point is, you have to do a visual on the VB to know for sure.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but to my knowledge, all the a-500s are going to have it, seeing it's an 88-95 thing. The a904 and a-500 valve bodies don't swap. So if your gonna get covered in red oil, it should be more about cleaning the valve body because it isn't working right, then if it has PTKD or not..

Not that I'm disagreeing, but to my knowledge, all the a-500s are going to have it, seeing it's an 88-95 thing. The a904 and a-500 valve bodies don't swap. So if your gonna get covered in red oil, it should be more about cleaning the valve body because it isn't working right, then if it has PTKD or not..

True enough.

-
Back