Tranny slips when cold

-

Vali68

Reaction score
i have a 68 2 dr valiant with a 904 and a SLant 6. I notice the tranny is leaking fluids and it is coming from the pan. My son started the car and I checked the fluid level while in Neutral while idling. The fluid was low, so we added fluid to it.

But before we added fluid and even after, the tranny slips out of gear. but once it is warmed up, the tranny doesn't slip at all. Does it sound like the tranny may need to go to a shop for rebuilding?

if so, has anyone had a rebuilt tranny done before and/or how much we are looking at out of the car?

the mopar trans in the cold if the filter is clogged will tend to starve the valve body of oil. and note that rev requires up to 300 psi, and forward gear need much less. i found an external filter. the old auto zone 2210 magenfine filter is no longer available at auto zone. BUT i did find the same thing as JX-160 brand-- ATP. at a real parts house uses 3/8" tube. ONLY use high pressure hose. SAE J1019 217 psi working. NOT fuel hose for a carb engine.

i have a 68 2 dr valiant with a 904 and a SLant 6. I notice the tranny is leaking fluids and it is coming from the pan. My son started the car and I checked the fluid level while in Neutral while idling. The fluid was low, so we added fluid to it.

But before we added fluid and even after, the tranny slips out of gear. but once it is warmed up, the tranny doesn't slip at all. Does it sound like the tranny may need to go to a shop for rebuilding?

if so, has anyone had a rebuilt tranny done before and/or how much we are looking at out of the car?

Classic indication of worn and hardened rubber parts.
It needs a go through.

The rubber seals get old and harden up, so when they are cold they don't flare out and seal like they should until the rubber gets warm and softens up so it can flex/seal.

classic indication of worn and hardened rubber parts.
It needs a go through.

The rubber seals get old and harden up, so when they are cold they don't flare out and seal like they should until the rubber gets warm and softens up so it can flex/seal.

x2

-
Back